Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

My first album was David (Bowie) Live.  It was actually the first concert I went to at Tower Theatre (Philly) that they recorded the album.  

I snuck to the concert with my BFF and her sisters.  I didn't even know who David Bowie was.

My parents found out months later and grounded me for a month.  Woman Frustrated

My first 8 track was Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love

My first 45 (is that the small record?) was Crimson and Clover

My first CD was Physical Graffiti

Excellent taste in music imo.  Woman Very Happy  My first Bowie album was 'Space Oddity', so I am a bit older than you.  I was a Bowie freak and saw him a couple of times at MSG.  'Knock on Wood' is one of my fav songs from that Live Album.

Several singers did knock offs of Crimson and Clover, but I really liked the Tommy James and the Shondells original.  I think it was ahead of its time.  My first 45 my grandmother bought for me at Woolworth's - it was The Beatles 'Help' on the A side and 'I'm Down' on the B side.

'Kashmir' and 'The Rover' on Physical Graffiti are still songs I listen to today.  That was an excellent album w/a very interesting album cover.  Not sure if the CD could do that album cover justice.

As far as the thread owner's original question, I am really not sure of my first album.  I do remember getting a 'Sly and The Family Stone' album very early on (I Want to Take You Higher), and I was a big 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' fan, so I'm thinking it may have been one of those.  So long ago I just can't remember an album, but I do remember my grandma walking with me into town and buying that 45 for me.  She told me she really liked Elvis Presley so I thought she was kinda cool for telling me that.  Woman Tongue

I had older brothers and sisters and they all listened to rock so I grew up around it.

I really got into Elvis long after he passed away, about 10 years later.

I'm a child of the 60s, but like listening to 50s music now.

Respected Contributor

Starting in the late 50's I bought a few Rock 45's then in the 60's more MoTown 45's. My first album was Jazz Samba by Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd. I was 14.

Respected Contributor

2CAE0D9F-C0F5-4FC6-B96E-03741E03DFF6.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I'm not 100% sure but the ones I do remember are Elvis Pressley and a set of   Bobby Vinton albums.

Honored Contributor

Gee - that had to be in the late 1950 .... I haven't a clue.  My family's "phonograph" only played 78 rpm records.  

I got a portable record player that played 33s and 45s, and my own records.  I recall an aunt buying me an Elvis album.

I never got into rock - by 1960 I was into folk music and had lots of folk albums.  Still do have lots of folk music!

Honored Contributor

The Partridge Family

Regular Contributor

Re: Your first record album

[ Edited ]

I usually bought 45's but my very first Album was The Cowsills when I was probably 11 or 12!  I think I wore the record out listening to The Rain, the Park & Other Things.  I had a major crush on Barry Cowsill.  Then I went on to the Monkees!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Meet the Beatles, 1964.  Age 11

Mine too!

My first concert was The Doors in the summer of 1968.  I was 14.

Respected Contributor

My first album was Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies."  

I have seen him live and the shows are great.  (I also saw Bowie live here in Philly and many, many other concerts.)

Alice Cooper is still rocking hard today!  He will be playing in Atlantic CIty in September, and I am tempted to go, but I think I have a conflict that weekend.

I did buy Genesis tickets for the December show.

DH saw the Rolling Stones back in the seventies for $6.00! (the expensive tickets)

Occasional Contributor

I was 14 when I bought my first record, The Rolling Stones' "Some Girls." I still love that album even though some of the lyrics in the title song are a bit saucy, especially for a 14 year old! I had a huge fan crush on Mick Jagger and didn't care what he was singing about, I just loved everything he did--he's a bit worse for the wear these days, but he's still rockin'!!