Honored Contributor

Re: Your child gets into MIT....

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Heck, send the kid to a trade school to be a plumber, electrician or car mechanic. They don’t have to work in corporate America, can work independently and make a fortune. I just had a plumber come out to give me a quote on the install of two new bathroom faucets and they wanted $1400. (I already had the new faucets, that was just the removal and install of new ones) so if little Johnny plumber can do a couple of jobs a day at say $500 each he could make $5000 a week/$20,000 a month. 

@Meowingkitty 

A person that thinks like me, I think. Now with a nic like yours? No wonder!

=^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Students also have to apply again to get into graduate school. They take more tests and their undergrad grades/internships/resume, etc. are taken into consideration to qualify and be accepted. Some of the top schools have programs - mostly in STEM areas - with grants for which students can apply to be in. For many high-level employment positions and depending upon the field, a 4-year degree isn't enough anymore.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I'm a tad confused.  If the parents cannot afford the tuition, how come the child cannot get any grants, scholarships and/or grants?

MIT also has a work study program.  Why isn't the child entitled?

Am I missing something?

@Mz iMac My sentiments exactly.  MIT is one of the schools that if they admit you, they will provide financial aid to meet your ability to pay.  If this student does not qualify for financial aid other than loans, it means that the school thinks the parents have the financial means to pay.  If the parents are just unwilling to pay, they should just admit that instead of pretending the can't afford to pay.  Perhaps a compromise could be reached where the parents pay some and the student borrows some.  How important is going to MIT to this child?  If this is really important to the child, and the child is a hard worker (re school work), I would do everything I could to help them go.  Best of luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb and @blackhole99 it is not stupid as a high school student to apply to MIT if the student doesn't have the ability to pay.  MIT is one of many schools that offer financial aid sufficient to cover the cost to attend if the student is admitted.  The school will, however, expect parents to make a contribution they believe the parent can afford.  They have formulas.  If more than one child is going to college, the school will also take that into account in their financial aid package..  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To the student:

1. Why apply for a school you know you and your parents cannot afford?

2. If you and qualified career counselors deem the school invaluable to your future career, then work during school to offset some costs and borrow the rest, knowing you will start your working life with a huge debt. 

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE I address your concern in the post immedtely above yours.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

Great! I didn’t read the other replies but was just responding quickly to the original post.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  and @Meowingkitty Super competitive schools like MIT do not give academic scholarships, because everyone would qualify.  Financial aid is based on need, the schoold examine the family's ability to pay, and provide financial aid on that basis.  Some schools do offers scholarships for odd things, but they are usually small ammounts that don't cover costs.

Respected Contributor

Scholarships my child received were not from the ivy league university. Mostly they were from local organizations. The financial aid dept. applied those scholarship monies to the tuition along with the grant/funding.

Honored Contributor

I can tell you what my nephew did.  He  attended Drexel for his undergrad degree which is more affordable with their Co-op program, did well then went to MIT.  He got scholarshps to get both his Masters & PhD from MIT.