Trusted Contributor

Your Thoughts on GoFundMe

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone. I know it's late but I haven't posted in a while. Facebook and other social media platforms aren't my thing but my sister alerted me of a personal message she received on Facebook. We have a cousin who started ared a GoFundMe to raise money in order to study abroad this summer. He needs ~$8k. I am not contributing because I personally feel that GoFundMe should be reserved for necessities in life not enhancements. In my day if you couldn't afford to study abroad, you didn't go. I had to put it off until senior year when most students did their program sophomore or junior year. How would you feel about being solicited for a donation like this one? TIA

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Your Thoughts on GoFundMe

It depends on a lot factors, Is he a serious student? Is he worth a donation? Do you know him very well? 

I'm sure things have changed since you were a student and I wouldn't hold it against him. Don't judge him by what you did or didn't do. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I don't care one way or the other.

If a person thinks it's important enough to raise money that way - more power to him.

It's voluntary.  No one is required to contribute.

Honored Contributor

if i was close to the relative and wanted her/him to have an experience of a lifeteime  i would contribute a small amount. having the chance to study abroad is an excellent opportunity to explore and to learn. my daughter studied her entire junior year abroad in two places.......spain and italy. she really enjoyed the experience.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@JBKO  Do what is comfortable for you. 

GFM has raised some incredible $$ through the years for some causes that were heartbreaking and for causes that seemed petty and everywhere inbetween.

I do not think that there is any right or wrong in this situation.  I do understand your pov, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@JBKOPublic pan handling through GoFundMe has become quite socially acceptable in some circles and it wouldn't surprise me if your relative received way more than he was asking.  A lot better, imo, than other GoFundMe pages where people beg for money to pay off their credit cards.  

Honored Contributor

Since this person is a "family member,"  I would forgo GoFund Me.  Give your contribution directly to the parents.

Then again, your cousin may be able to make his goal from strangers & you won't have to contribute any $$$. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I have a curiousity about GoFUndMe. If you don't make your goal, do you still keep the money? He's at 1k now.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

I contribute based on my relationship to the asking person and I don’t judge the “qualifications” of the project. Hopes and dreams as wants have value, not just life or death as needs . I can’t decide how someone should live their life, just how I spend my money. One person’s important project is another person’s silliness.

I respond to Go FundMe requests without feeling the person has to earn some points to deserve the fulfillment. I also don’t feel I have to give a lot to help out. If someone needs $8k and I can give $25, I support their ambition and contribute an amount I can afford to give at that time. (a summer in Europe might be 12 weeks. Does that require nearly $700/week?)

Studying abroad is good for developing as a person. I wouldn’t be thinking it’s frivolous or an ego trip to hope to go overseas and learn and explore. Not every experience has to be earned. I’d contribute, especially if it was a relative.

For sure, in my opinion, I’d have one hesitation. If he doesn’t collect enough, he should indicate how he will use the money he does get. If he can’t do that or his plan is suspiciously vague, I’d think twice about giving. I wouldn’t support Plan B unless it’s school related. 

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I have a curiousity about GoFUndMe. If you don't make your goal, do you still keep the money? He's at 1k now.

No, the money goes back to the donors. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson