Honored Contributor

Re: Your Thoughts on GoFundMe

[ Edited ]

I don't like it when "acquantainces" that have asked me to connect on FB send me information and ask me to contribute to their go fund me causes. 

I do know I can pass the request by and decline, but it puts me in a bad spot as I don't want to appear cheap.  If it was a good friend, I'd feel differently.  Some of these requests I've gotten through messanger are from "friends" that I really do not know well.

It's annoying.  I donate plenty to the causes that I"m interested in.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Hi everyone. I know it's late but I haven't posted in a while. Facebook and other social media platforms aren't my thing but my sister alerted me of a personal message she received on Facebook. We have a cousin who started ared a GoFundMe to raise money in order to study abroad this summer. He needs ~$8k. I am not contributing because I personally feel that GoFundMe should be reserved for necessities in life not enhancements. In my day if you couldn't afford to study abroad, you didn't go. I had to put it off until senior year when most students did their program sophomore or junior year. How would you feel about being solicited for a donation like this one? TIA

If somebody chooses to go the GFM route then that is their decision. Mine is to decide to contribute or not.  The one thing I want to ask is about the highlighted comment, aren't you in your 30's? 'In my day" is usually used by someone who lived in a time of different values. This IS your time!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gm! JeanLoiseFinch I'm so happy to hear that your relatives made it out the fire. Best of luck to them. GFM is great for those who have gone through a catastrophe like that.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am not a fan of GoFundMe for soliciting money from people for things that should be paid for by the person who is requesting it.

i was always taught that if you want something, work for it.  It is in bad taste to ask people to contribute money for something you want.  I would be embarrassed to do this, and I would kick my kids butts if they ever did such a thing. 

If someone truly needs money for a medical problem, funeral, or some disaster beyond their control and people want to help out, I am in. Helping people truly in need is good and the right thing to do.

Would I personally donate money to someone who wants to study abroad and asking on GoFundMe?  no way

I’d tell them to get a job.  I can’t believe the sense of entitlement of some people.

Now, if I knew someone who worked to study abroad and they were not asking for hand outs, I’d probably slip them some spending money to make their trip more enjoyable.

^^^THIS^^^^

Thank you @Carmie for expressing my thoughts much better than I could have!!!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I feel Go Fund Me can be good for certain situations, but I also find that it's the easy button for others, it's a personal choice.  I only wish they sold stock in this company that's for sure.

Trusted Contributor

I have a question about GoFundMe.  They ask people that are asking for donations to enter their bank account information.   Is that safe?  I would be nervous doing that.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe in charitable causes 100%. I write checks regularly to my local food bank as well as other causes. I don’t care much for Go Fund Me.It does have some valid causes but I think it gives lazy people license to ask others to support their sense of entitlement!! 

Studying abroad is an enriching experience.My son wanted to do it.I told him we couldn’t afford it on top of paying for college.He didn’t go.He’s not damaged.Instead he learned a valuable lesson.Sometimes you have to evaluate your wants vs. your needs.That’s what turns you into a responsible adult!! If you can’t afford something that you really want get a job,work for it, or move on. That’s life in the real world.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it has its place. I only give to those that I feel truly need it and are in a hard spot, good causes.... I dont give to people that want to fund their fancy weddings, pay off their credit cards, pay for their vacations....  Those are handouts and in poor taste.  Get a job if you really want something bad enough.  Others shouldnt have to fund it.

However, I dont use the service a lot. Only when necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Hi everyone. I know it's late but I haven't posted in a while. Facebook and other social media platforms aren't my thing but my sister alerted me of a personal message she received on Facebook. We have a cousin who started ared a GoFundMe to raise money in order to study abroad this summer. He needs ~$8k. I am not contributing because I personally feel that GoFundMe should be reserved for necessities in life not enhancements. In my day if you couldn't afford to study abroad, you didn't go. I had to put it off until senior year when most students did their program sophomore or junior year. How would you feel about being solicited for a donation like this one? TIA

I wouldn't contribute to that; I think it's tacky to ask someone for something of that nature.

I think GoFundMe should be reserved for emergency needs.

I contributed to one GFM, a little boy who passed away from the flu and his family needed $$$ for his funeral and burial. This was covered by local news and so I knew it wasn't a scam appeal.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since Go Fund Me keeps 5% for their services--I give direct (to the actual person, not on-line)--but only for illnesses, loss due to fire, etc.    For me, studying abroad is something parents (or student working part-time) should pay for.     No one funded my college, and I would never have asked--even family.