Super Contributor

Re: Your Keurig....On or Off ?

Oh ,I am so very grateful for all of your responses ! I just didn't know which is best or what the manufacturer suggested.

So as your water level lowers you just add more with it on, and as it stays on 24/7 the water stays at a steady warm temperature so that each cup of hot drinks is consistently the same temperature?

I think mine may have a timer, I'll have to check. When unpacked, DH tossed out the packaging with instructions left it it without knowing, so I never read how to work it other than the obvious. I love it dearly, it's a delight when you drink coffee as much as I do. I just didn't want to burn it up, short it out, or do anything dumb from not knowing better.

Mine looks exactly like the one on the home page, today's date, but mine is called a Platinum B-60 or B-160 I think, I read the one on today and it did state it had a two-hour cut off, so I'll assume mine does as well, I'll check that out. Didn't see that or think of it before I started this thread.

You gals are the best ! Now I will feel comfortable in whatever I choose to do !!!

I enjoyed all of your answers because I will fell better doing a little of what you all have done depending on my time, needs and circumstances.

I really care that you took the time to answer and help me. Again, thanks so much !

Blessings to each of you ! Smile

Happy Keuriging !! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Never even considered leaving it on all the time. It's on a timer and after my morning coffee (1-3 cups) it goes off after 3 hrs. If I happen to want something in the evening I turn it back on. Leaving it on all the time, based on leaving *any* small electric appliance on all the time, sounds to me like a recipe for burn-out waiting to happen. Not surprised if Keurig "recommends" this though - they'd have a vested interest in you needing to keep buying them :-(. My workplace has one (communal) and it's on probably 8-10 hours a day max.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I only drink one cup a day (in the morning), so I leave it off until I need it.

However, I've left it on when I've had parties. I have even forgotten to shut it off at times and everything has always been fine.

Personally, I would leave it off when not in use.

Trusted Contributor

I keep it off and unplugged when I'm not using it. Honestly, I'm a little paranoid when it comes to small appliances and fire. I've read too many stories where a power spike hit and a microwave or a coffee pot that was plugged in started a fire. Before I leave the house in the morning, I unplug the microwave and the coffee pot.

Respected Contributor

Mine has a timer so I have it set to come on 3:30 in the morning and go off at 9 am. If someone comes over I can turn it on and off again without messing up the timer.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

My library now has one that is always on and people can make themselves cups of coffee. It's a nice touch but I don't think it is really necessary. My library visits run less than 20 minutes.

Valued Contributor

Mine is always on unless we are out of town. I think that is what Keurig recommends.
Super Contributor

Mine has a timer switch. I think after a half hour with no use it automatically goes off. For special events with guests I turn off the auto switch and I always remember to turn it back yo auto off.
Honored Contributor

I have the personal brewer at home. There is no leaving it on. It automatically shuts off after a short time if I don't start it to run coffee through.

We have a model at work and we shut it off every night when we are leaving the office.

Honored Contributor

On 8/14/2014 HonnyBrown said:

My Keurig at work stays on all day.

The one at home has an on/off timer.

Meg, those aren't dumb questions. I don't know if it's good or bad to leave it on. The one I keep at work (K-40) is well used, almost 6 years old, and still going strong.

The one at home with the timer is new.

Ours has a built in timer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.