Honored Contributor

Re: You know you are getting really old when

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It is not necessarily age that makes it hard to recognize these people. There are so many ways to access programming these days  it is impossible to know everyone .

So true. If you don't pay to have HBO, Showtime or Netflix. That's probably 70% of those nominated. It's not just the people I don't recognize, it's the shows I will never see either, and I can't bring myself to care.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

It's not growing old....it's growing UP and no longer worshiping at the altar of "celebrity". Lots more important things in life.

Being aware of someone's name and why they are known isn't "worshipping at the altar of celebrity", it's watching new shows on the pay networks - or not watching them. It's reading People - or not reading; watching ET and similar shows, or not watching. "Worship" of any kind has never been a factor for my TV, film or music interests.

Trusted Contributor

@KathyPet  Of the shows nominated, "This Is Us" is the only one I have seen.

I knew more of the deceased people than the ones alive.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@KathyPet  Of the shows nominated, "This Is Us" is the only one I have seen.

I knew more of the deceased people than the ones alive.

Haha! Next time I need to laugh I'm going to re-read this whole thread. And the use of "these people" that so many used, for some reason has me laughing everytime.

I think I knew more of the deceased too.

My daughter yesterday probably innapropriately but not meaning to called a columbarium-"Is that the dead people's garden?"

Oh my, but I bet they are laughing too. I know my father will beSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I do feel the same way when I am at the nail,salon or beauty parlor and pick up US weekly or People and wonder who are these people and what have they done that gets them mentioned in a national magazine?

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I do feel the same way when I am at the nail,salon or beauty parlor and pick up US weekly or People and wonder who are these people and what have they done that gets them mentioned in a national magazine?

Same here. I used to enjoy getting a pile of the Enquirer-type rags and reading them all when I'm sick or inside on a lazy or rainy weekend. First, doing that became pretty expensive so I did it less, but when I realized that not only did most of them run the same stories on the same people to even using the same photos, but I also didn't know or care who 90% of those mentioned were, I just stopped; waste of $$ for any entertainment value for me.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

DH and I turned off the Emmy's last night and watched a rerun of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. They introduced a new band called The Who!  We watched the whole show and I said, "Honey, we are those old people we used to laugh at".

@house_cat - Know what ya mean.  When I worked a group of us used to eat at a restaurant next door to work and when I was in my 20's there would be this same group of 4 women (in their 60s) sitting at a table in the corner and we used to laugh and call it "Menopause Manor". 

Two years ago we happened to head up to DC and stop at the same restaurant and we were laughing and commenting how now WE were the Menopause Manor ladies 40 years later!!  Karma baby, karma!

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet

lol2.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I don't buy green bananas anymore!

Respected Contributor

I only make short-term investments!