Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: You know summer is over when...

When I can finally stop wearing shorts and sandals and wear cozy sweats and Uggs. Usually November. 

Honored Contributor

When I take my first dip in the development's pool. 

I don't go (it's actually very nice) until the thrill seems to be gone for others.  Then I am assured of quieter swims and uninterrupted reading under the pergola.  The day after Labor Day they keep it open only for the annual doggie-only swim.  That's the best.  

Respected Contributor

The temperature drops below 100 and stays there.

Honored Contributor

The sun is not as bright, and the summer heat is not as scorching as in June and July 

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:

You start seeing Halloween candy in your local grocery store.  This happened to me this morning.    Fill in your own: you know summer is over when.....

@gellen, Halloween candy in stores doesn't mean anything to the temps where I live!  It has been 80 degrees in the South on Halloween, kids wearing shorts to Trick or Treat! September is considered summer for us!

Honored Contributor

When my dog starts shedding really bad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When the air changes and the nights are cold no matter how warm the day is.  There comes a point when we have no humidity.  It might be 85 during the day but you can just feel the change.  It's hard to explain, you just know it.  And once the sun goes down, you need a jacket.

The halloween candy has been in our stores since mid-July.  I took a picture of it the first time I saw it because I could hardly believe it.

I too was in Dollar Tree 2 weeks ago to buy a gift bag and card and couldn't believe all the fall/halloween decor they had in.  Some of it was very, very cute and I couldn't resist.    

There was a school bus at the end of my street this morning when I left for work.  I was surprised. I thought they didn't go back until next week. 

Honored Contributor

When the leaves on my flowers start turning yellow and brown and when the Fall Festival come to our town first week in Sept.

Respected Contributor

@devababy wrote:

The 95 temps drop to 80.  I live in central Texas.  When the leaves turn, when the sun is not a hot yellow color, but softens to a golden glow, when college football starts, when the scents of flowers and trees and the ground turn to a musky smell.  I’m ready.  Autumn/Fall is my favorite season.

Maybe I should move to Texas. My Dad was born in El Paso and lived in White Spurs, wherever that is.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

When there is a crispness in the air, NFL season begins, and I can get a pumpkin spice latte.