Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sfnativeyou looked adorable sitting on that vw like you were at the top of your game and knew it.You lived in a really nice area back then too.

@dex

Thank you so much.  You're so kind and right on the money.  Such a happy "place" in my mind to go back to.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

(I hope the pictures show up - not sure they will)

My first car out of high school was a 1957 Ford Fairlane (this one is not mine but just a pic) - bought it used.  I was "sort of" engaged at the time, and I think I got it more to please my boyfriend than to please me.  But I eventually got rid of the boyfriend and the car..... 

Image result for 1957 ford fairlane

and replaced it with one exactly like this, my first brand new one - dark green 1963 Chevy Impala Super Sport with "four on the floor", tachometer, and bucket seats (back when bucket seats had to be special ordered).  I loved this car and wish I still had it!  (And NO, that's not me.... happy smiley emoticon)

Photo Courtesy: GM Media Archives Superlative Super Sport - 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS

@kittymomNC

I so love the back-stories to your 2 cars!

Truth be told, we were a GM family, so I simply adore your Chevy Impala.  That green, is it teal(?), is so gorgeous.  Every year when new models came out, my eyes were always waiting to see what the new Impala looked like.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative

Back then, anyone who had a car was "adored!"  LOL!  There were so many muscle cars on the road then that mine really didn't stand out.  But it was special to me and I have missed it since my "was-band" made me sell it back in the late '70's.  Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@mustang66lady  Oh stab in my heart - buttercup yellow to boot!!!  Almost sinful of you to sell it. Every once in a blue moon I'll see a buttercup yellow around here where I live. Beautiful!

@PINKdogWOOD

The term "sell" here is relative.  My "was-band" made me sell it because the transmission blew.  No one would rebuild it without rebuilding the engine as well.  We were newly weds and back then, there were so many muscle cars on the road, we didn't really think getting another would be a big deal.  Money was tight, so we sold the car to the local president of the Mustang club for 200.00.  Found out later, the seats alone were worth 2000.00.  We should have parted it out before selling it but youth isn't always equated with wisdom and that was a huge learning curve for us back then.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@sfnative  Oh this is choice isn't it? What a beauty. I hope you still have your beetle, DH just this morning read in the newspaper Volkswagen has decided to not make Bugs anymore. Seems no one buys enough of them these days. How very sad.

@PINKdogWOOD

OH SNAP!  You just made my day!  I haven't heard anyone use the term "choice" in ages!   

I hope your DH is mistaken about VW not making beetles anymore.  I will never win a big lottery because I would probably spend it all on a collection of old muscle cars (even though a Beetle wasn't a muscle car, it still belongs).  I am so happy reading this thread-thanks again @sfnative for starting it!

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady@lOL...wasband??Never heard that one before you.

Esteemed Contributor

My first car was a Toyota Corolla, light yellow and cute as a button......my second car was a 65'Ford Mustang convertible, navy blue with white top and white interior......and how cool i thought i was....hahaha.......

eventually sold it to my brother and he loved it more then i did....haha.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

A 1960 Chevy Corvair 2 door coupe with whitewall tires, it was so much fun to drive & I loved the way it looked...that car will always be my favorite.  

Like you...i always loved the look of the Corvairs......a boyfriend had one and i just thought that it was so cute!

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@kittymomNC wrote:

(I hope the pictures show up - not sure they will)

My first car out of high school was a 1957 Ford Fairlane (this one is not mine but just a pic) - bought it used.  I was "sort of" engaged at the time, and I think I got it more to please my boyfriend than to please me.  But I eventually got rid of the boyfriend and the car..... 

Image result for 1957 ford fairlane

and replaced it with one exactly like this, my first brand new one - dark green 1963 Chevy Impala Super Sport with "four on the floor", tachometer, and bucket seats (back when bucket seats had to be special ordered).  I loved this car and wish I still had it!  (And NO, that's not me.... happy smiley emoticon)

Photo Courtesy: GM Media Archives Superlative Super Sport - 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS

@kittymomNC

I so love the back-stories to your 2 cars!

Truth be told, we were a GM family, so I simply adore your Chevy Impala.  That green, is it teal(?), is so gorgeous.  Every year when new models came out, my eyes were always waiting to see what the new Impala looked like.

@sfnative... Thanks for loving my old car... and to add to the "back story", if I hadn't eventually married the wrong guy, I would probably still have it and be showing it at car shows! Smiley Very Happy  Actually, the color was a deep metallic green, and the interior a light metallic green-it really was pretty, and one of the guys I dated (and had some fun drag racing with) said it was "the best running 250 in town".

Later, I was about 9 months pregnant and still driving it, and people would do double takes when they saw this VERY pregnant young woman getting out of that car... eventually we couldn't have my baby in a car seat strapped in between the front bucket seatsfacepalm smiley, so had to get another car.  I kept that one for a few years, but my husband, eventually to be"ex", wasn't interested in keeping it.  

Might as well go on up to now... I've had this one for 27 years and still drive it from time to time  (not a Chevy, of course)!  I've been a car nut since I was a teenager.... I got my one and only ticket in my entire life in this one - at age 65!happy smiley emoticon

Image result for 1991 mitsubishi 3000gt sl

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@mustang66lady@lOL...wasband??Never heard that one before you.

@dex

LOL!  "Was-band" is the husband that was!  Now he's my ex and although I am still bitter about selling that Stang, he is the father of my two children and will always be a part of my life.