Esteemed Contributor

More than several years ago, we had a quite a thread going with some great input about first cars.

This time around, and for those that missed the first go-round, share with us your first car and, if you have a photo of it or, better still, a photo with you and your car, please attach it.

Let's see what shows up!

This is me on my '58 VW Beatle in Woodside, CA, which my Dad purchased for me used as a HS graduation present.  Best gift going into college.

Volkswagen in Woodside 1967.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: You and Your First Car

[ Edited ]

New 1963 Olds F-85 Cutlas Convertible (blue metalic with white top and white leather interior). Parents gave it to me when I turned 16. That car had a huge engine and was a great car for my summer trips . . . and cruising. 

ETA: My parents bought me a new 1967 VW yellow convertible as my next vehicle. It was my choice and adored that friendly little car! Kept that little bug for five or six years - it was so much fun. 

So did my husband when returned from the service and before we married in 1969. He purchased a used VW Karma Ghia (red). We were both students; driving VW's were easy to park on campus, insurance was reasonable and they were so much fun! Once he graduated, he sold his Ghia. Realized his 6'5" frame didn't really fit into that sporty little car well.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

vImage result for model t ford

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a photo to attach but my nic gives the clue to what my first car was- a '66 Mustang.  It was buttercup yellow with tuck and roll interior.  6 Mustangs were embroidered on each seat, front and back.  It had factory a.c. which was almost unheard of back then.  289 engine V8-more power than a 16 year old should have had but boy did I love that car.   Wish I still had it.  Will always regret selling it.  My Dad bought it for me on my 16th birthday which made the car 6 years old when I took ownership.  Great thread-thanks for the memories!

Respected Contributor

No pictures, but it was a 1964 Buick Skylark in midnight blue.  We bought it used in '72 so that I could commute to college.  Had to let my sister have it on the weekends.  (She was at college about 20 miles away.  She always returned it with an empty tank!)

Honored Contributor

1963 Dodge Dart, 3 speed on the column, bright fire engine red inside and outside. My grandparents gave it to me for my high school graduation in 1966 so I'd have it to take to nursing school. Grandpa said he wanted to be sure everyone could see me coming! I drove it for 4 more years. I actually loved that car!

Honored Contributor

My first car was a VW Beetle that dad helped me buy after USAF Officer Training School.  Later, I had a picture of DH and me hauling a calf home in the backseat to our 5 acre farmette.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I didn't learn to drive until after DH died ... I was 49 years old.  My father wanted a new car, so he gave me his Oldsmobile.  I think it was Sierra.

I hated driving ... and gave the car away when I moved into Manhattan and haven't driven since!  

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

New 1963 Olds F-85 Cutlas Convertible (blue metalic with white top and white leather interior). Parents gave it to me when I turned 16. That car had a huge engine and was a great car for my summer trips . . . and cruising. 

ETA: My parents bought me a new 1967 VW yellow convertible as my next vehicle. It was my choice and adored that friendly little car! Kept that little bug for five or six years - it was so much fun. 

So did my husband when returned from the service and before we married in 1969. He purchased a used VW Karma Ghia (red). We were both students; driving VW's were easy to park on campus, insurance was reasonable and they were so much fun! Once he graduated, he sold his Ghia. Realized his 6'5" frame didn't really fit into that sporty little car well.  

@BirkiLady

The Cutlas was a terrific car!  Came in great color combos, had a fantastic engine and could go like a bat out of heck.  A friend had a Cutlas that had a champagne body with black vinyl top, when they knew how to do vinyl tops.  That car was sezy!

Sounds like you and your husband had great times in your VWs.

Esteemed Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

I don't have a photo to attach but my nic gives the clue to what my first car was- a '66 Mustang.  It was buttercup yellow with tuck and roll interior.  6 Mustangs were embroidered on each seat, front and back.  It had factory a.c. which was almost unheard of back then.  289 engine V8-more power than a 16 year old should have had but boy did I love that car.   Wish I still had it.  Will always regret selling it.  My Dad bought it for me on my 16th birthday which made the car 6 years old when I took ownership.  Great thread-thanks for the memories!

@mustang66lady

Whoa!  What a lucky duck!  You must have been adored and envied by just about everyone for miles around.  I can just feel the power coming out of that engine.  Sooooo cool!