Respected Contributor

A 1960 Chevy Corvair 2 door coupe with whitewall tires, it was so much fun to drive & I loved the way it looked...that car will always be my favorite.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

No pictures, but it was a 1964 Buick Skylark in midnight blue.  We bought it used in '72 so that I could commute to college.  Had to let my sister have it on the weekends.  (She was at college about 20 miles away.  She always returned it with an empty tank!)

@ItsME

Wasn't it great having a car for college?  I cannot imagine not having mine and doing all of the getting around that had to be done.

And, I'll never forget the Buick Skylark, because if I'm remembering correctly, that and its Pontiac sister were the subject of much comedy in "My Cousin Vinnie."  Such a funny movie!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My first car was a VW Beetle that dad helped me buy after USAF Officer Training School.  Later, I had a picture of DH and me hauling a calf home in the backseat to our 5 acre farmette.

@Kachina624

Awwww, a calf in the back seat.  Well, you beat me on that one.  I hauled a lot of stuff in the back seat of mine, but never a calf.  Bottle fed a lot of calves and loved providing hands-ful of siliage to heffers, but no farm animals in my VW.  Engine parts for other cars, yes, but no animals.

Esteemed Contributor

Love your car picture. The pic of my first car is buried in a storage bin in the spare room. lol. But my first car was a used 1969 blue Cougar. Unfortunately I only had it 2 years, because a drunk in a big gold cadillac hit me. When we each got out to exchange info, he turned around, got back in his car, AND hit my car again and fled. (Hit and run, i know he was drunk b.c he was staggering and stank in the brief minute I spoke to him)  I was not injured but I went into shock (a nearby Dr office helped me at the time), and my car was demolished. (PS to this day I cant stand heavy drinkers at parties, or anywhere). 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: You and Your First Car

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

New 1963 Olds F-85 Cutlas Convertible (blue metalic with white top and white leather interior). Parents gave it to me when I turned 16. That car had a huge engine and was a great car for my summer trips . . . and cruising. 

ETA: My parents bought me a new 1967 VW yellow convertible as my next vehicle. It was my choice and adored that friendly little car! Kept that little bug for five or six years - it was so much fun. 

So did my husband when returned from the service and before we married in 1969. He purchased a used VW Karma Ghia (red). We were both students; driving VW's were easy to park on campus, insurance was reasonable and they were so much fun! Once he graduated, he sold his Ghia. Realized his 6'5" frame didn't really fit into that sporty little car well.  

I learned to drive on my mother's white Old's F-85 convertible  Hers was all white with a red interior.  I LOVED that car and thought I was beyond cool driving it.

The first car I (we) owned was a 1971 Triumph Spitfire. It was a combination graduation/wedding present from my parents.  The car was cute as can be but a major piece of junk.  We spent a boatload of money (we didn't have) on repairs. We could not afford to keep it but we couldn't afford to get rid of it.  Back then there was no such thing as a Lemon Law.

Honored Contributor

1964 Pontiac GTO.....4 sp......and I've driven "muscle cars" ever since............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

No pictures, but my first car was a 1974 Silver Mercury Capri.  I named her Charlotte.  I have no idea why.

My parents bought it for me during spring break my freshman year of college.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I don’t have a picture but my first car was a black 1961 Ford Comet not a Mercury Comet.

It had an AM radio and heater but I don’t remember A/C. It got me around town for a few years and cost $350 (I think).

Surely I have a picture.

Esteemed Contributor

My first car was a used 1963 racing green convertible MGB.  It was a stick shift which I didn't even know how to drive!  I had to have my friend drive it home from the dealers.  I had to have that car!  I practiced and practiced how to drive that car especially on hills.  Such fun memories of that car jamming my shorter friends in the back which wasn't even a seat.  People who owned MGBs would always wave to me when driving, it was like a special "club."  

Honored Contributor

Dad bought me a 1955 Buick Special, it was baby blue on the bottom with a white top, it was my HS grad present but I got it my junior year.  If that car could talk!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)