Honored Contributor

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

Lesson...do not use a  Debit card. Use a credit card....if the credit card is skimmed, it is not your money taken....no access to your bank account.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I don't have a debit card personally. I think someone may have hacked into my phone because it was doing weird things on the day that claim in my name was opened.
Trusted Contributor

FYI: Those devices used by people to download your CC info are amazing fast and record EVERY card you have in your purse/wallet/CC slit. The most common area for this crime is the airport. In a matter of minutes, a criminal can swipe hundreds of cards by simply walking among people sitting down waiting for a flight or by walking through the people moving from gate to gate or to their luggage, etc. So if you have your Debit card, your major CC, store CC's, gas card...ANYTHING that an amount can be charged to (or cash received), the info will be stolen with that device.

Often, crime rings target one airport for the day then move out of the area to another one. Imagine how much can be stolen by just a few people in an hour!!!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

A friend of mine went to the grocery store....she had gotten her paycheck and also her stimulus check the week before....so her checking account had plenty of money she loaded a portion to her "spending card" with her Bank.....When she went to pay----her purchase was declined....She couldnt figure out...why....  A nice person behind her paid for her groceries (luckily she just had a few items)....  She went home and called her Bank....And this is what they told her----that particular grocery store she went to was a hot bed of people going around with those skimming devices to capture the info on chip of the credit card (spending card)....so the Bank Rep recommended an RFID wallet or purse.....  

SO JUST BEWARE FOLKS! If it happened in our city, it could happen in yours.....

P.S. She did call the Store Manager to let him know what was going on too....

@Spurt How do the scammers get the three digit code from the back of a card in order to use the card? I'm thinking it is more likely that a fit over skimming device was on her ATM or her gas pump. These devices are common. Then there are clerks and waiters that cone or use their own device to copy the card and get the back three digit code.

@Mindy D 

She's been staying home the grocery store was the only place she went...

These they walk around with these devices, the Bank told her these were not the skimmers they insert in the ATM or Gas pumps...and the chip on your card has the code...

Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) is the use of radio waves to read and capture information stored on a chip attached to an object. An RFID chip can be read from up to several feet away. RFID chips, or “tags,” have been used by businesses for years to manage inventory and shipments, and they have been used in access badges 

for security systems.

RFID chips have been used to make credit cards that can be read without being scanned through a machine, and they have also been added to some passports and driver’s licenses. The idea is to improve convenience and security—sort of like grocery stores without checkout lines because your purchases and credit card are automatically read on your way out the door. However, security experts have shown that a thief with an RFID reader could also steal your credit card number or personal information just walking by you.

@Spurt @I understand, but this doesn't explain how they could get the three digit CVV code from the back of her card in order to use her bank card. They could clone the card with the account number, but how do scammers use this to directly drain a bank account? I am wondering how this works. If they get the name and numbers, then immediately print a phony card, what's the next step? They will not have the CVV number. Will ATMS work for withdrawals without this CVV? I'm still trying to figure this out. I have had a brand new Debit Card cloned the first time I used it. The waiter cloned the card when I gave it to him to pay. This was over 20 years ago and it happened right at the time the bank stopped requiring PIN numbers. A group of employees working for a chain restaurant were part of a ring. The idiots bought $8000 worth of ceramic tile and had it delivered. I spent hours at my bank working with them. The bank put the money back in my account. 

Occasional Contributor

@hooked on books  You might want to file a police report because any unemployment benefits are considered taxable income for the IRS.  Especially since it was fraud using your name... Hope this helps!  

Honored Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
I don't have a debit card personally. I think someone may have hacked into my phone because it was doing weird things on the day that claim in my name was opened.

@hooked on books 

someone else had a thread where their phone was hacked.....I think these manufacturers need to check on security gaps...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

A friend of mine went to the grocery store....she had gotten her paycheck and also her stimulus check the week before....so her checking account had plenty of money she loaded a portion to her "spending card" with her Bank.....When she went to pay----her purchase was declined....She couldnt figure out...why....  A nice person behind her paid for her groceries (luckily she just had a few items)....  She went home and called her Bank....And this is what they told her----that particular grocery store she went to was a hot bed of people going around with those skimming devices to capture the info on chip of the credit card (spending card)....so the Bank Rep recommended an RFID wallet or purse.....  

SO JUST BEWARE FOLKS! If it happened in our city, it could happen in yours.....

P.S. She did call the Store Manager to let him know what was going on too....

@Spurt How do the scammers get the three digit code from the back of a card in order to use the card? I'm thinking it is more likely that a fit over skimming device was on her ATM or her gas pump. These devices are common. Then there are clerks and waiters that cone or use their own device to copy the card and get the back three digit code.

@Mindy D 

She's been staying home the grocery store was the only place she went...

These they walk around with these devices, the Bank told her these were not the skimmers they insert in the ATM or Gas pumps...and the chip on your card has the code...

Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) is the use of radio waves to read and capture information stored on a chip attached to an object. An RFID chip can be read from up to several feet away. RFID chips, or “tags,” have been used by businesses for years to manage inventory and shipments, and they have been used in access badges 

for security systems.

RFID chips have been used to make credit cards that can be read without being scanned through a machine, and they have also been added to some passports and driver’s licenses. The idea is to improve convenience and security—sort of like grocery stores without checkout lines because your purchases and credit card are automatically read on your way out the door. However, security experts have shown that a thief with an RFID reader could also steal your credit card number or personal information just walking by you.

@Spurt @I understand, but this doesn't explain how they could get the three digit CVV code from the back of her card in order to use her bank card. They could clone the card with the account number, but how do scammers use this to directly drain a bank account? I am wondering how this works. If they get the name and numbers, then immediately print a phony card, what's the next step? They will not have the CVV number. Will ATMS work for withdrawals without this CVV? I'm still trying to figure this out. I have had a brand new Debit Card cloned the first time I used it. The waiter coned the card when I gave it to him to pay. This was over 20 years ago and it happened right at the time the bank stopped requiring PIN numbers. A group of employees working for a chain restaurant were part of a ring. The idiots bought $8000 worth of ceramic tile and had it delivered. I spent hours at my bank working with them. The bank put the money back in my account. 

@Mindy D 

This is from a consumer blog---

Its up to the merchant to choose whether to require the CVV code or not....

Jan 2, 2019 - CVV's three- or four-digit code adds a layer of protection. For example, Amazon – is prohibited from storing card security codes in their databases. ... your permission on a website that does not require the CVV code to be entered. ...Amazon requests the CVV when you first supply credit card information to authorize your card before storing it. CVV cannot contractually be stored, however, so Amazon does not use this value for subsequent transactions.  Why does Amazon not require a security (CVV) code for credit card transactions? ... Amazon has large amount of data and it assures to the credit card industry that using that large amount of data, Amazon can provide the same level of security as other online businesses who require CVV.

Merchants – even online businesses you buy from regularly, such as Amazon – are prohibited from storing card security codes in their databases. That way, if a database is compromised, hackers can't access the security codes needed to use the stolen card numbers.Other Websites besides Amazon.com , that dont require a CVV code include ---Target.com , Armaniexchange.com , NBA.com , eddiebauer.com , bebe.com , Lacoste.com , and benefit.com . Websites like these will require other personal information about you and your card instead of the CVV code. 

Also scammers can tap other methods to get your CVV code, including stealing your sensitive information online through phishing and keylogger scams.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Thanks for posting this. We have had the RFID wallets for years. But during this pandemic, I've stopped carrying a purse or anything else into public spaces, that I don't have to. 

I've been putting my cards, cash, keys and phone in my coat/jacket pockets so I'm not contaminating my purse and it's contents. 

I guess this is a prime time for people to pull this stuff. I'm going to have to make an adjustment I guess. I only carry a credit card, don't have a debit, so at least they wouldn't be able to empty my account, but who even wants the hassle of dealing with a credit card being hacked at this point in time. 

Good reminder!

Trusted Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
Just last week someone opened up a Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Claim, using my name, DOB and Social Security Number. To date there has been close to $5000.00 deposited into someone's bank account in my name! I'm waiting to hear back from the Unemployment Fraud Department but I was told there is a lot of fraud happening now and they are probably backed up dealing with these fraud situations. UGH!!!! No matter how careful you are someone will always find a way to be dishonest!!! What a mess!!

@hooked on books How did you find out this had happened?