Esteemed Contributor

Re: You Got Your Wish! Prince Harry and Meghan To Give Up Royal Titles.

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Come on everyone @JaneMarple  is our friend, and we should be trying to help her feel better

I have mixed family members, and understand just how important to many people this is. It was a huge milestone for them, and for many of us too

@cherry @JaneMarple I wish we could all just be colorblind where ethnicity is concerned. I am. If I like you or not...the color of your skin has nothing to do with it. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

This new arrangement is expected to be rolled out in this spring, meaning they will be carrying out royal engagements and Meghan will be returning to the UK until that time.

The couple will now be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and "will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family".

Prince Harry will lose his Captain General of Marines, Hon Air Commandant, Commodore-In-Chief and Youth Ambassador titles.

It is understood that in return for dropping the use of the HRH titles, there will be no oversight on how the couple earn money, meaning they can make whatever commercial deals they want.

The Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations, but they "no longer formally represent The Queen".

The palace did not comment on the details regarding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's security arrangements, but said there "are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security".

After a year the Megxit deal will be reviewed again by the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William.

~TheSunUK

Harry losing his rank in military is pretty awful.  we all know how he felt about his mates and his service.  

Strikes me as rather cruel to do that.

@QueenDanceALot His choice. Or he should have known before acting. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@sunshine45  I guess it depends on who we read... Another source has this to say...

"The U.S. Constitution uses but does not define the phrase "natural born Citizen", and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional and legal scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. As to those born elsewhere who meet the legal requirements for birthright citizenship, the matter is unsettled."

@stevieb   Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Mother (Eleanor) born in Delaware.  Father (Edward) born and raised in Cuba.  Became a citizen of Canada and later became a naturalized citizen of the USA.

Ted Cruz was constitutionally eligible to run for POTUS.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if this thread will reach 1,000 posts before either (A) the mods decide to close it, or (B) it drops from front page.

With all of the "Meghan is evil and the Devil and the worst person to have ever walked on the face of the earth and Harry is a spoiled, entitled brat!" posts, who knows?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I wonder if this thread will reach 1,000 posts before either (A) the mods decide to close it, or (B) it drops from front page.

With all of the "Meghan is evil and the Devil and the worst person to have ever walked on the face of the earth and Harry is a spoiled, entitled brat!" posts, who knows?

@Anonymous032819 

Nah.  My referring to Archie as "wee Archie" will bring the thread down.

*snort*

Valued Contributor

Blimey~!  This commoner has something to say:

When these two got married, I posted this marriage has the life expectancy of 5 years ... hence this is the first step in showing disdain when one doesn't get their way ... and oh much drama within an establishment that should have been abolished after Queen Victoria "hid herself away" from the public for 40 years.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@sunshine45  I guess it depends on who we read... Another source has this to say...

"The U.S. Constitution uses but does not define the phrase "natural born Citizen", and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional and legal scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. As to those born elsewhere who meet the legal requirements for birthright citizenship, the matter is unsettled."

@stevieb   Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Mother (Eleanor) born in Delaware.  Father (Edward) born and raised in Cuba.  Became a citizen of Canada and later became a naturalized citizen of the USA.

@Cakers3 

ted cruz had dual citizenship, canadian/american. he did not have to be "naturalized" but he did have to renounce his canadian citizenship a few years ago.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

It's my understanding they were not stripped of the titles but will no longer use them. Harry will remain a prince. 

@Sushismom he may remain a prince but according to the palace's statement they will not use their HRH titles.

@esmerelda @JaneMarple 

All I can say is ....  SO  WHAT ???

I'm sure this has all been carefully considered by H&M for some time, so it couldn't possibly be a surprise to them.  Perhaps it was even Harry's idea.   I don't think them having titles or not having titles is going to mean very much in the long run.   It won't tip the earth off it's axis.

IMO, they overdo it with titles in England.   Duke & Duchess of Caterpillars or Lord and Lady of Flannel .... I think they all need to give it a rest.   What one ACCOMPLISHES in life is much more meaningful than a title inherited from a dead person or gifted for no REAL  reason.   JMO

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Cakers3 

ted cruz had dual citizenship, canadian/american. he did not have to be "naturalized" but he did have to renounce his canadian citizenship a few years ago.

@sunshine45   Right but the issue incorrectly stated here is that wee little Archie Woman TongueWoman TongueWoman Tongue could not become President because he was not born on USA soil even though Meghan was.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!!!!  Yes, does sould like a reboot of the King and Wallis.  Must be very hurtful to Her Majesty.

I can certainly understand Harry's desire to protect his family.  After the way his mother was hounded by the press, it makes sense.  His memories are those of a 12 year old whose Mum was chased to her death.

However, I do find the timing a bit curious.  If this was the end goal, why spend millions of taxpayer money to redo Frogmore Cottage, hire a full staff, and, of course, the lavish wedding????  

It appears that Meghan has no intention of going back to the UK.  After all, they left Archie in Canada when they ended their vacation.  And, Meghan flew back after their inital announcement.

One would assume this is difficult for William to deal with.  It's such a shame for the brothers.

Hopefully, the brothers can overcome this chapter.