Respected Contributor

Re: Yes, Another Mask Thread. Open at Your Own Risk!

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

And the biggest kick back against mandatory mask wearing is born in all the lies and deceptions that have surrounded the 'numbers' and the protocols in dealing with this virus from day one. Shaming mask wearing in the beginning, denying they were necessary or effective (only to completely renege on that now and claim this is THE answer), padding the numbers of deaths, etc. 

I certainly hate to think that people died on battlefields so someone could have the personal liberty not to wear a mask.  That is so wrong when people use that argument.

and then in the beginning health care workers didn't have enough masks to wear.   And weren't a lot of masks sold to china

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@Mominohio   wrote

I have to stand by the idea that having masks that aren't used properly, and are a constant touch point, and being removed are probably as bad or worse than no mask. At least with no mask, we are tending to back off of others and not have a false sense of security and are less likely to have our hands in our face and all over the face covering.

Others of us live in places that where we step out the front door, we don't see anyone or any other building sometimes for miles. We go into the local store, and there is one clerk and two other cars in the parking lot we are so rural. 

so which is it you live in an area so rural you don't see anyone hardly ever  how can stores in your area afford to stay in business?  where do your stores get their deliveries from?

or your live where people are constantly touching their masks

to me even if people are touching their masks hopefully their droplets are staying inside the mask lining

Isn't the idea to wear masks because anyone can be a silent spreader

Well, if you aren't familiar with truly rural areas, there are now Dollar General (and other similar) stores being built in the middle of corn fields, just outside of tiny towns that have maybe 12 homes comprising the 'town'. There is nothing but corn and sky around the store. They are obviously making money, as they keep building them in such spaces, but I know the one in my area never has more than five cars in the lot, two belonging to the employees working there. 

I live in a rural area where I never come into contact with people when I am outside my home, working my land, or walking my road. Cars may go by (and Amish buggies even more so), but to insist that I need to be treated the same as someone living in a NYC high rise apartment setting, and be told a mask is mandatory outside (not sure if NYC said that or another city, but I read somewhere that at least one city was requiring them outside your home.....period) is ridiculous.

And everywhere I go, even the health care professionals are messing with their masks, the general population even more. People have their hands in their face much more as the masks slip, the glasses fog, the heat gets intense and they feel they are not getting air. They are popping their nose out, dropping it below the chin when no one is around. I see it every day on the news as well, as people are being filmed or interviewed in public, and I see it in stores and businesses by employees and customers alike. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@minimalistWF wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone actually has a medical condition keeping them from wearing a mask, then they are also at a very high risk with the virus, so they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be in public places to begin with.  

So ridiculous how these "karens" are coming out of the woodwork with fake medical conditions.  One can only hope that karma works in this situation.

And in this one... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio   have your local governments thought about whether stores like dollar general might drive out local grocery stores that sell fresh food

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

And the biggest kick back against mandatory mask wearing is born in all the lies and deceptions that have surrounded the 'numbers' and the protocols in dealing with this virus from day one. Shaming mask wearing in the beginning, denying they were necessary or effective (only to completely renege on that now and claim this is THE answer), padding the numbers of deaths, etc. 

I certainly hate to think that people died on battlefields so someone could have the personal liberty not to wear a mask.  That is so wrong when people use that argument.

and then in the beginning health care workers didn't have enough masks to wear.   And weren't a lot of masks sold to china

That and many other personal liberty reasons are exactly why people have died on battlefields. 

We are becoming a society that doesn't understand or respect choice, liberty, and rights. We have people that demand their rights, and give no thought to other's, simply because they don't agree with their point of view on a subject. 

The public health claim only goes so far. Especially when you have things like the NYC mayor denying all large gatherings, unless of course you are protesting, then that is expressly allowed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@Mominohio   have your local governments thought about whether stores like dollar general might drive out local grocery stores that sell fresh food

@lovescats  They can and do co-exist. After all, I've never seen a deli or meat counter or produce area in any dollar store...General, Family or Tree. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

@lovescats  They can and do co-exist. After all, I've never seen a deli or meat counter or produce area in any dollar store...General, Family or Tree. 

I never said they couldn't co exist.   but they have driven local grocery stores out  not in my local area but in my state when the population isn't high enough

Super Contributor

Absolutely right👍🏻 Also so many of these numbers have been manipulated to make people scared. I live in the country and in a county that has had no Covid. I do not need to be treated the same as people in other areas. And besides that I'm smart enough to figure it out for myself

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Marp wrote:

My area was about 80-90% compliant when it was recommended.  It seems to be remaining at about the same rate but the number of people with medical issues that prevent wearing a mask has skyrocketed.

@Marp 

I have a suspicion that those with medical issues will be coming out of the woodwork.

@QueenDanceALot 

Just like those who bring their dogs into food stores because they're "therapy dogs".  A few months  ago,  the stores finally posted signs "only service dogs with approved paperwork" are welcomed in store.  

Now, sadly employees have become responsible to stop those without masks & I feel for them because they are really getting "verbally" abused.  My thought is management should be doing the "mask enforcement".

I went in for a quick trip to Walmart this morning in a town where there is a mask ordinance passed by the city council.  I saw about 3 dozen people inside the store who weren't wearing masks.  On my way out, I asked two employees to confirm whether or not we're required to wear masks inside the store, and both said their manager told them it's not their job to enforce the city's mask ordinace. 

It was disturbing to see the smug looks on these people's faces as they strutted throughout the store, as if to say, "I dare you to say something" or "We'll show you who's in charge."  Cities can pass all the ordinances they want, but there has to be some sort of accountability or enforcement in order for them to be successful.  

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

We don't have grocery stores that sell fresh food in my immediate area. I don't live in or near a real town (defined in this instance as a place with a name that has maybe one gas station, one small store, and maybe a church or library or school) People here mostly grow their own, (farms and large acreage) and the Amish have some fresh food auctions and produce stands. What is needed are stores that one doesn't have to drive 20 plus minutes to find and afford all the things sold in a DG type store. 

Small towns around this area used to have smaller groceries, but most have gone out, as their prices were high, selection and quality low, and run down and dirty conditions. Walmart drove most of them out years ago. even though Walmart was a bit of a drive to get there (again at least 20 minutes from where I live, longer for others), People would go for the price difference and larger selection.

There are no local governments in many rural areas, or not what people that live in towns and cities know as governments. Yes, there might be a name attached to an area, like where I live, but there is no police dept. no mayor, no council. There might be some township trustees, but they have little to no power, and there isn't much to oversee, except the care of roads and ditches and bridges. Any government we have at the local level is county based, and in towns that are usually up to a half hour or more away from where we actually live.