Honored Contributor

Yes, Another Mask Thread. Open at Your Own Risk!

[ Edited ]

My Governor (KY) just announced mandatory mask wearing everywhere in public (unless you are outside and able to maintain proper distance) as of 5 p.m. tomorrow.

I am curious if those in other states who have already had this mandate for awhile had noticed an increase in mask wearing in their area since the mandate went into effect.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yes, Another Mask Thread. Open at Your Own Risk!

My area was about 80-90% compliant when it was recommended.  It seems to be remaining at about the same rate but the number of people with medical issues that prevent wearing a mask has skyrocketed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

We had that mandate since last Tuesday.People wear them in business and restaurants but they don't wear them properly.Some have their noses uncovered and others keep lifting them aside to let air in or out.People are not wearing them outside though no matter how difficult it can be to social distance.I also notice a few people pull them down to converse...like they feel we need to see their lips move to hear.Its all better that before when few attempted to wear them

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

My area was about 80-90% compliant when it was recommended.  It seems to be remaining at about the same rate but the number of people with medical issues that prevent wearing a mask has skyrocketed.

@Marp 

I have a suspicion that those with medical issues will be coming out of the woodwork.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

We had that mandate since last Tuesday.People wear them in business and restaurants but they don't wear them properly.Some have their noses uncovered and others keep lifting them aside to let air in or out.People are not wearing them outside though no matter how difficult it can be to social distance.I also notice a few people pull them down to converse...like they feel we need to see their lips move to hear.Its all better that before when few attempted to wear them

@dex 

I see that a lot now.  I hope that this changes with the mandate, but I'm not very optimistic about that.  

I have to wear a mask at work and I find that the disposable type are best for my work as my work is pretty physical and the disposable are quite light and easy to breathe in.

I save my other masks now "for good", i.e. going to the grocery, going out for a (rare) meal, going to a friend's house to sit on the patio for cocktails, etc.

If our numbers keep going up the Governor will surely take more serious measures.  Masks are our best shot at keeping businesses open if we can all just DO it!  

Someone at our briefing today asked why we had to do this since we're not AZ, FL or TX.  The Governor responded with, "They didn't think they were New York and now look what's happened."

Honored Contributor

What will their excuse be for not wearing a face shield?  confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  Everyone is wearing a mask when I go to the grocery store.  People are wearing outside too.  I don't wear outside especially with 95 degree weather or never in my car when I am alone.  I wore a mask when I had my hair cut but my stylist said I did not need to (we did social distancing from others) so it was my stylist and me. Where I live is 98% seniors and the rest are disabled.  Everyone is wearing a mask but they are not social distancing which is really dumb.  I will not sit with people outside because they do not social distance.  Your state (KY) is trying to save lives just like my state (IL).  We were among the last to reopen and I appreciate the conservative approach that was taken.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

See this is why some who question the use of masks might be more right that many want to admit. 

Masks aren't a cure all to begin with (I know, no one here said they were). Then you add people not wearing them correctly, being too hot and feeling smothered by them, and constantly lowering to get air, unfog their glasses, scratch an itch, etc, and they may actually be doing more harm than the mask is doing any good. 

The false sense of security reduces social distancing, the uncomfortableness of them and constantly needing to fuss with something that close to your face, just makes them POSSIBLY worse than being without one before it is all said and done.

We are not in one of Ohio's mandatory counties but my husband's employer decided on Monday this week, to institute a mandatory mask policy for all employees effective yesterday. Imagine that when they don't even do any sanitizing of surfaces anymore (that lasted about a week)

99% of the people (UPS hub) work in a warehouse type setting, with no air conditioning and no fans to move the air. It's a heat index of 100 degrees today, temps in the mid 90's and super humid. The trucks that many of the workers have to be in as they load and unload both semis and package cars can be well over 100 degrees on days like this. This is the 11th day in a row for this kind of weather. I can't imagine having have my face covered for 8 to 10 hours a day in those conditions. And I don't see it lasting. It's simply not sustainable to work at the pace they expect, in that kind of heat, and have your mouth and nose covered. I struggle in the store some times, if they don't have the air turned down low enough, can't imagine doing that all day in this heat.

I look for Ohio to mandate them state wide before too many more days. Right now it is by county and where there are the highest numbers, which I appreciate, not just treating every place the same, when the reality is the numbers are quite different.

Valued Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Someone at our briefing today asked why we had to do this since we're not AZ, FL or TX.  The Governor responded with, "They didn't think they were New York and now look what's happened."

Exactly! 

Small population South Carolina certainly didn't think they were New York either, and look where we are. 

Your Governor is very smart to try to get ahead of this. I keep wondering why we are not being more proactive instead of reactive. If you see the numbers trending up, then button it up! 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I don't want to get into a debate about the efficacy of masks but the reason our Governor has mandated them statewide is we are seeing numbers going up, up all over the state.

Doing it county by county would be really pointless, much like how I feel about doing it state by state.