Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 , we use vinegar (white).  Takes the sting away and no itching. LM

Trusted Contributor

Try Benadryl ointment or gel. That works better than hydrocortisone for the itch caused by insect bites or stings and it makes the swelling go down too. 

Honored Contributor

Yellow Jackets  are bikers of the bee world.  Though they aren't bees, but wasps. I always use Aloe.  We have the plant at home.  I was only stung once, walking across the lawn.  I stepped on a yellow jacket nest.  One flew up my pants leg.  The rest swarmed.  I ran inside and slammed the screen door on them.  But I was in time.  I sat in a bath for a while, then smeared the Aloe.

Honored Contributor

Well it took a little over a week, but the itching finally subsided . It's weird because two days ago it was so bad, itching, swelling, etc. and this morning I'm almost back to normal. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I must be weird, because nothing I tried worked , just time.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I mowed over a ground nest of some kind of horse fly. Forgot about it after awhile then red spot showed up and fang marks still there. Went to a dermatologist thinking  I had skin cancer (LOL) he did a biopsy, sent it off came back "bite from noxious venom" then it dawned on me  'a horse fly'?

Still have marks on upper arm.

Common pests can take a chunk out of arm.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

A few days ago I disturbed some yellow jackets that were in an old lawn chair on my side porch. They swarmed me and stung me in several places. I googled what to do and after a day the pain subsided. Then the itching started  , it went away , but now it is back with a vengeance.  Is there something that will help, or do I need     a prescription ?  I've never been stung before, so this is new territory. TIA.

I had it in my mind that baking soda paste would take it away, so I googled it to make sure.... this is what was stated:

Mix a spoonful of baking soda with water, and then apply with a cotton swab or ball to the yellow jacket sting to help neutralize the venom. Use vinegar to reduce itching. Simple vinegar can act as an astringent and keep you from clawing at the bite, which could lead to further infection or inflammation.

Trusted Contributor

You have my sympathy, I was yellow jacket swarmed too. About 30 bites. A hurricane was approaching and I was moving things from the backyard into the basement. One of the items I wanted to bring in was a chimney brush for the wood stove that hadn't been needed for a year or so. Well, there was a nest in the brush and the little devils went after me!

My first total instinct was to go to water....we have a very shallow creek in the back (2 inche sof water on a rainy day...) luckily I realized that wouldn't help. I ran up to the front door to escape the swarm, pulling wasps out of my hair between my fingers. They followed me all the way. I was quick but at least four or five made it into the house. Got them all but one with an electric buzz zapper and a rolled up newspaper.....one of them went up to the top of my cathedral ceiling and dived bombed me coming down rear end stinger first and bit my on my chest through a t shirt. Like a cartoon bee!

Luckily I'd not gone into the basement with the swarm as my young daughter and I had to shelter in there during the hurricane for 5 or 6 hours. Very worried, it was a strong storm so tough to get emergency aid.

I was afraid that I'd have a severe allergic reaction but I just felt achey and uncomfortable. I used vinegar to calm the stings right after and the next few days. I was also a daily Claritin user which helped. Claritin is good for hives.

I had the same delayed itchy-stingy reaction as you did after that day. The venom was still in my system and working its way out as swelling went down. I was under an allergist's care so went to see that doctor. Luckily, all was well. I had an epi pen for awhile in case the event had set me up for a stronger reaction if future bee/wasp stings in future. I don't carry it anymore.

Scary event! Not a common occurence tho' . I'm glad you're feeling better!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

If there is redness and swelling go to a doctor you need antibiotics.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.ā€