Honored Contributor

Re: Yahoo Data Breach-500 Million Users

@Marp

Okay, I should know this, lol.  I have at&t and it says powered by yahoo. Oh Lort, am I in trouble with this breach, rofl.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

People still use Yahoo? I don't know anyone that does. 

DH and I still use Yahoo.

I will say though that with the days of texting and private messaging through FB, I don't use e-mail much.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Marp

Okay, I should know this, lol.  I have at&t and it says powered by yahoo. Oh Lort, am I in trouble with this breach, rofl.

I have verizon/yahoo email. 

My thinking is.....if they've hacked into it, when I go to change my password, some 6th and 7th graders will be high 5ing each other for the new info.......

Regular Contributor

I just got an email from Yahoo saying my email is part of the breach. With 500 million hacks, I knew I would be among the millions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KaliaMonet wrote:

I just got an email from Yahoo saying my email is part of the breach. With 500 million hacks, I knew I would be among the millions. 

@KaliaMonet, what does Yahoo recommend you do?  Were they able to tell you exactly what information was compromised?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

My email said to change the password.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@nomless, the hack did occur in 2014 but today is the first time full disclosure has been made by Yahoo as to how widespread the breach was and what areas of personal information were affected.

What isn't clear is if there was a single breach or if it continued over a period of time.  I think it was actually earlier this year that the breach was discovered, likely due to learning of the information being offered for sale.

Yes, I understand that it was announced yesterday, but the hackers have had the info for years, so there's no reason to panic now. The consumers' info has been in the hands of (and probably used by/sold by) the "bad guys" for a long time. Changing the password should be done, and accounts should be monitored, as usual. 

Honored Contributor

In today's Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/09/22/what-you-should-do-if-you-have-a-yahoo-...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

So you can change your password, but the only thing it allows you to do for your security questions is to disable them.  It says "For your own security your should disable your security questions".  And that's going to keep me more secure?  I guess they're pushing you to the alternative security features like their Key thingie and a cell number.

Regular Contributor

@Marp

The email is as follows:

We are writing to inform you about a data security issue that may involve your Yahoo account information.

What Happened?

A copy of certain user account information was stolen from our systems in late 2014 by what we believe is a state-sponsored actor. We are closely coordinating with law enforcement on this matter and working diligently to protect you.

What Information Was Involved?

The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. Not all of these data elements may have been present for your account. The ongoing investigation suggests that stolen information did not include unprotected passwords, payment card data, or bank account information; payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system that the investigation found to be affected.

What We Are Doing

We are taking action to protect our users:

• We are asking potentially affected users to promptly change their passwords and adopt alternate means of account verification.

• We invalidated unencrypted security questions and answers so they cannot be used to access an account.

• We are recommending that all users who haven't changed their passwords since 2014 do so.

• We continue to enhance our systems that detect and prevent unauthorized access to user accounts.

• We are working closely with law enforcement on this matter.

Our investigation into this matter continues.

What You Can Do

We encourage you to follow these security recommendations:

• Change your password and security questions for any other accounts on which you used the same or similar information used for your Yahoo account.

• Review your accounts for suspicious activity.  

• Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal information or refer you to a web page asking for personal information.

• Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.

Additionally, please consider using Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password altogether.

For More Information

For more information about this issue and our security resources, please visit the Yahoo Security Issue FAQs page.

Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen our defenses against the threats targeting our industry.

Sincerely,
Bob Lord
Chief Information Security Officer
Yahoo