Esteemed Contributor

Yahoo Data Breach-500 Million Users

[ Edited ]

SEE UPDATE IN POST #2

Time for a password change.

Apparently Yahoo is about to confirm that it was hit by a huge data breach which involved the spillage of account details pertaining to several hundred million users.

You may recall the incident being reported back at the start of August, with allegations that a hacker known as 'peace' (or his full name 'peace_of_mind') had penetrated Yahoo security and made off with the login details of 200 million accounts, which were subsequently sold on the dark web for just shy of $2,000 (around £1,500, AU$2,700) a pop.

At the time, Yahoo said it was investigating the matter, and according to inside sources who spoke to Recode, the internet giant is about to officially confirm the breach, and presumably the exact extent of the intrusion – which the tipsters said was 'widespread and serious'.

One source the tech site spoke to hinted that it may actually be "worse, really" than the picture of 200 million details spilled which we've already had painted.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/yahoo-is-about-to-come-clean-on-a-huge-data-breach-1329150

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yahoo Data Breach-500 Million Users

Yahoo (YHOO, Tech30) confirmed on Thursday data "associated with at least 500 million user accounts" have been stolen in what may be one of the largest cybersecurity breaches ever.

The company said it believes a "state-sponsored actor" was behind the data breach, meaning an individual acting on behalf of a government. The breach is said to have occurred in late 2014.

"The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers," Yahoo said in a statement.

Yahoo urges users to change their password and security questions and to review their accounts for suspicious activity.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/22/technology/yahoo-data-breach/index.html?adkey=bn

Esteemed Contributor

I heard this last night on the news.  Now, who would want to do this?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

smh at this - five hundred million

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

People still use Yahoo? I don't know anyone that does. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

People still use Yahoo? I don't know anyone that does. 

Hi JaxsMom, I'm Marp.  Happy to meet you.  Now you "know" someone that still uses Yahoo.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it also applies to att/yahoo.  My old ISP was att and the home page is att.yahoo.com.   I still go there now and then to check my old email addresses and it's kind of a pain.  Always one problem or another.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt, one of my local news programs discussed this and said anyone that ever had a Yahoo account, even if it hasn't been used for years, can be at risk.  They recommend changing the password on even dormant accounts.

I do not know how current these instructions are but it would be worth a try if you want to completely delete your Yahoo account.

http://www.wikihow.com/Delete-Yahoo!-Accounts

You could also search Yahoo's help pages but they aren't always the most intuitive.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for that info, Marp!  That is actually very helpful.

I do know that I have an old Yahoo email account hat I haven't used in years.  Hopefully I have the password stored.   I also wanted to delete my att email addresses but have not been alble to do so. 

I'll tell ya what - once you drop att, they mess with you in a plethora of ways.  One of those is to make it hard to get to your account info and do anything.

Respected Contributor

Again?  Doesn't this make the 3rd time this year?  Tired of changing passwords!!!!