Honored Contributor

Would you take a test to determine if you were going to get Alzheimers disease?

[ Edited ]

I honestly don't know what I would do? I can see the sense of doing both

I wouldn't want that sword hanging over my head day after day. It would always be at the back of my mind. So while you might not dodge this bullet, it might be comforting to  not face it too soon

On the other hand ,it could help your family , or if you are alone, you, plan for the event ,in a manner that might help your last  time  on earth , be a better one

Although my mother had alzheimers, and I don't think there is much of a better  time  that exhists, at present ,with this disease

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you take a test to determine if you were going to get Alzheimers disease?

Absolutely.

Not knowing fixes nothing. 

It would be no different than any other medical test to me.

It gives information for informed decision making and early detection to access care, education and treatment while there may still be options, and while I might still have some say it what happens with my course of action.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you take a test to determine if you were going to get Alzheimers disease?

Yes I would so I could prepare myself and my family.  Alzheimers scares me more than any cancer.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm not afraid of it, it's not something I give much thought to ,as a rule

My husbands cousin has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Her children are now trying to make arrangements for her. They have brought her down from the north ,to where they have better medical facilities available, and a bigger pool of Drs that treat it

I think she managed to live quietly, under the radar with it ,for a while

She is single ,and didn't have anyone in the home with her, to catch the signs

Honored Contributor

Cherry.... nothing would change if I received a prognosis of a likely candidate.  Also, I don't consider test results gospel.  So probably I would not take the test because it would not impact my life based on the results.  I attempt to live every day as if it is my last....so a test result would not matter to me.

@cherry wrote:

I honestly don't know what I would do? I can see the sense of doing both

I wouldn't want that sword hanging over my head day after day. It would always be at the back of my mind. So while you might not dodge this bullet, it might be comforting to  not face it too soon

On the other hand ,it could help your family , or if you are alone, you, plan for the event ,in a manner that might help your last  time  on earth , be a better one

Although my mother had alzheimers, and I don't think there is much of a better  time  that exhists, at present ,with this disease

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'm not afraid of it, it's not something I give much thought to ,as a rule

My husbands cousin has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Her children are now trying to make arrangements for her. They have brought her down from the north ,to where they have better medical facilities available, and a bigger pool of Drs that treat it

I think she managed to live quietly, under the radar with it ,for a while

She is single ,and didn't have anyone in the home with her, to catch the signs

If you don't give much thought to it as a rule, why did you start a thread about it?

Just curious.

Honored Contributor

I just read an article about it, and wondered how people feel about  doing it @stuyvesant

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I just read an article about it, and wondered how people feel about  doing it @stuyvesant

You posed the question, and then posted you don't think about it as a rule.

Perhaps this thread can be an exception to that Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think it is @stuyvesant. It is interesting to see how people react to different situations

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are medications that help slow the progression of this awful disease. Wouldn't you want to know so you could get on the meds as soon as the diseaser begins ?