Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Would dropping baggage fees make shorter lines at the Airport?

I vote for @Abrowneyegirl for our next TSA leader.  

Until then, the answer is on us not the airlines.  Stop bringing so much stuff (you know the word I wanted to use) and use common line courtesy and attentiveness.  Take off your shoes and empty your pockets before you get right there or I say you go to the back of the line.  That should teach people to pay attention and speed it up.  You hold up the line, you leave it.  Most of us are able bodied and can do that.    

I'll bet half the things people bring, especially older kids (not talking babies and toddlers) they don't really use or need.  Teach them young to travel light and the word no and the phrase because I said no was used by my mother many times and I grew up just fine without therapy.  Travel starts with packing your bags and prepping your kids and other travel companions for what's going to go and what stays home because the house would miss it.  

I travel often and the only space I take up is my seat and the space underneath it.  I don't expect everyone is able to do that but I think a lot of people can do better than they actually do. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think that much of difference.  We don't do the carry-on thing because of bag check fees.  I'm going on vacation, those fees don't matter to me.  We do it because over the years, the airlines have lost our bags 3 times.  Granted, the bags were found and delivered to our home and thankfully it always happened on the return trip.  But, I don't want to risk starting my vacation without all my stuff.  Also, people travel differently now.  Life is more casual now and just aren't taking a lot of stuff with us.  So, why check bags?  We decided that we won't fly anywhere this summer or fall.  To be honest, with my spinal stenosis, I wouldn't be able to stand in a 2-3 hour long line. 

Honored Contributor

As someone else said - flying has lost all it's elegance and is now like riding the inner city bus! Just a horrible experience! We now drive unless forced to fly. We make the trip part of the vacation. Stop along the way - even go out of our way - to see the sights. So what if it takes an extra day or so - we are retired and not on a schedule. Sometimes our trip from Fl to Pa takes 2 days and sometimes 6. Last summer we spent a month at Lake Chatuagua in NY before we came to Pa. We have friends who love to travel but he absolutely will not fly - he was in a helio that was shot down in Viet Nam and that cured him of flying forever.Anyway, they have literally travelled all over the world by driving and cruising. 

Respected Contributor

No.  The TSA we know today was a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11.  They need a complete overhaul & firing the chief was a good start.  Now if only we could make him return the $90k in bonuses that he's received...

Honored Contributor

The lines were long before the baggage fees.  People bring all their stuff onboard because they do not want to wait at the luggage carousel. 

Honored Contributor

(thread title)  according to what i heard on Greta show last night? she said why not give it a try. this from me, a non-flyer

hnj

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

No.  The TSA we know today was a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11.  They need a complete overhaul & firing the chief was a good start.  Now if only we could make him return the $90k in bonuses that he's received...

He was reassigned, and put on paid leave.

Ask the TSA screener how they feel about that.

Answer: NOT happy.

That is truly, and royally f***** up.

If one is not outraged by that, then I don't know what to say.