Trusted Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Yes and yes

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I want to stay away from all things medical right now if I can.

I am not sure how this works.  I read that they use that swap thing that goes up your nose and way up and hear that it is very unpleasant.  

There are other methods now, too, right?  Can't they do it by a finger pric*king, too?  Or a saliva test of some type?

Also, maybe others are more knowledgable of this --- When I see the drive through testing, I see the person adminstering the test and they are suited up with the mask, gloves and all that, but it doesn't seem that they change gloves for each person they touch and test?  If they don't, wouldn't that be spreading infection?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Not if it means sticking that swab stick up my nose all the way to the back of my brain. No, thanks.

Agree 110%. It's painful.

I had the test and it didn't hurt.  Yes, it felt very strange.  I put my head back against the headrest of my car and held my breath.  But it didn't hurt at all.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I am hoping that many of you who have posted in this thread did not have the torment of suffering this horror yourselves, or perhaps more important, did not have the anguish of getting a phone call informing you that an asymptomatic carrier had infected your tiny, innocent 92 year old LO.

"IT HURTS"????? Lying on your stomach attempting to drag in a breath hurts too. 

Intubation? Google it. Would it be what you'd want for your only living blood relative? 

"I'm never sick"?? My LO was infected by someone who had NO symptoms until AFTER LO developed symptoms herself. People who are asymptomatic carriers are FINE......until their symptoms develop.

I understand that it can be very easy to forget this quickly as long as nothing that has happened has touched you. But if/when it DOES touch you, your personal risk is 100%.

If you are still operating on assumptions that are not backed by emerging science DON'T LISTEN TO ANYBODY WHO SAYS "JUMP IN AND GET BACK IN THE SWIM" IF THEY ARE NOT SPEAKING BASED ON UP TO THE MIINUTE SCIENCE THEMSELVES, AND HAVE AN IMMACULATE TRACK RECORD CONCERNING TRUTH TELLING. 

REMEMBER, if it's your grandchild, or your spouse, or your dearest friend, or YOU, your risk is 100%.

I completely agree.  

Those who say they wouldn't be tested or vaccinated are selfish.   The CDC and expert epidemiologists say up to 25% of the population could be carriers and never have symptoms.  No one knows if they are a carrier.  This is about giving it to an at risk person who dies.  This is about giving it to a kid who dies.  This is about saving others' lives. It's not all about the individual person's wants.

Trusted Contributor

Without  question, yes.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know.  I want to stay away from all things medical right now if I can.

I am not sure how this works.  I read that they use that swap thing that goes up your nose and way up and hear that it is very unpleasant.  

There are other methods now, too, right?  Can't they do it by a finger pric*king, too?  Or a saliva test of some type?

Also, maybe others are more knowledgable of this --- When I see the drive through testing, I see the person adminstering the test and they are suited up with the mask, gloves and all that, but it doesn't seem that they change gloves for each person they touch and test?  If they don't, wouldn't that be spreading infection?

I had the test late last week.  It didn't hurt at all.  It was a little weird but it didn't hurt.  And they changed gloves in-between each person.  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@violann wrote:

I am hoping that many of you who have posted in this thread did not have the torment of suffering this horror yourselves, or perhaps more important, did not have the anguish of getting a phone call informing you that an asymptomatic carrier had infected your tiny, innocent 92 year old LO.

"IT HURTS"????? Lying on your stomach attempting to drag in a breath hurts too. 

Intubation? Google it. Would it be what you'd want for your only living blood relative? 

"I'm never sick"?? My LO was infected by someone who had NO symptoms until AFTER LO developed symptoms herself. People who are asymptomatic carriers are FINE......until their symptoms develop.

I understand that it can be very easy to forget this quickly as long as nothing that has happened has touched you. But if/when it DOES touch you, your personal risk is 100%.

If you are still operating on assumptions that are not backed by emerging science DON'T LISTEN TO ANYBODY WHO SAYS "JUMP IN AND GET BACK IN THE SWIM" IF THEY ARE NOT SPEAKING BASED ON UP TO THE MIINUTE SCIENCE THEMSELVES, AND HAVE AN IMMACULATE TRACK RECORD CONCERNING TRUTH TELLING. 

REMEMBER, if it's your grandchild, or your spouse, or your dearest friend, or YOU, your risk is 100%.

I completely agree.  

Those who say they wouldn't be tested or vaccinated are selfish.   The CDC and expert epidemiologists say up to 25% of the population could be carriers and never have symptoms.  No one knows if they are a carrier.  This is about giving it to an at risk person who dies.  This is about giving it to a kid who dies.  This is about saving others' lives. It's not all about the individual person's wants.

@CalminHeart 

at this point there is no vaccine available, so that is really not relevant at this time.

we have no idea just when that may happen.

i am in a state where testing is not available to everyone. there are not enough test kits. how do you propose to take care of that issue first? secondly, how many times do you want people to be tested? you can test negative one week and a week later you can test positive. just how do you keep people away from other people? how do you know who may be high risk and who may not be if it is not obvious?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 -

I guess thats just it-we don't know who or how or where or when we might be infected or infect others, even with testing today, right it might be a different result tomorrow.

And that is why it is good to all keep wearing masks and try to"social distance" as much as possible.

That "contract tracing" sounds promising but they don't have enough people doing this.

To me, this is what makes it so unknown and scary-like we can do all we can and its still not enough.

This is just one of those days I'm not feeling optimistic about going out or what to do and when.

I guess we just have to keep hoping and look forward to a safe and effective vaccine and good treatments/medicines we have available to all for those who do get infected.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I somehow missed this.

I would test for the antibodies. I'd like to know if I have had this, and I'd like to know the same for all my loved ones.