Respected Contributor

Worst part of aging... Physical, mental, or emotional?

For me it is hard to say but I would say if you are healthy, it is the emotional part.  After a certain age you don't have a lot to look forward to.  When young you are looking forward to good job, new home, children, husband or the love of your life and so many things ahead of you.  When you retire if you do not have a lot of loving family and friends, you just get up and wonder what you will do that day other than make the bed and maybe go to lunch.  If you don't have a lot of money travel is limited to a couple of weeks a year.  If you are old and sick it is just biding time.  I went out to get the mail yesterday about 1:30 and my older neighbor came out in her gown to get the paper.  Why get up and get dressed....Enjoy life when you are young and don't retire until you have to. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Worst part of aging... Physical, mental, or emotional?

life is what you make of it, whether you are young or older. I'm 6 months away from retiring and I cant wait to see what will unfold with this new chapter. Yes, I am treating for cancer now but I won't then so...bring it on!

Honored Contributor

@chiclet, being retired, I understand what you're thinking. However, if you were to say, I only have 6 mos. maybe to live, wouldn't you cherish whatever time you do have? No one knows for sure. Maybe it would help for you, if able, to see what you can throw yourself into, possibly helping someone else out. Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

For me it's the physical, I don't look a whole lot like I did when I was younger, my eye color even changed. I'm healthy, but have osteoarthritis so I have a lot of aches and pains. I just think when you hit 65 it's pretty much all down hill for people physically, you just have to keep going and make the best of it.

Honored Contributor

WOW, I feel terrible that it feels as though life is over when you retire.

I'm still focused on getting my second masters' degree.

Some annoying stuff has slowed me down, but I'm certainly not ready to throw in the sponge yet.

For those of you who are frustrated by physical issues, is there anything you can do yourself to improve your health? Can you eat well, get more exercise, seek out assistance for specific health issue through online sources? Join a low cost or free program like Silver Sneakers?

Mental health? Stimulating electronic games- mine's Scrabble- Learning a new language or how to read music? Volunteering to read for younger school kids or tutor older ones? Joining a community choir or clean up crew or donation sorter?

Emotional health? Join a non-age related interest group? Take a community college course? Volunteer in a church or philanthropic agency that supports a cause that you support too?

For me, emotional stresses are by far the hardest. I worry constantly about those whom I love. I'm still working hard to develop the perspective that loved ones are ultimately healthier themselves without getting dark psychic vibes from me and my worries.

As a footnote- I took a totally inspiring voice lesson last Friday, and besides feeling that I was singing better, I also realized that I'm carrying A TON of tension in my face, neck, jaw, and voicebox. I feel GREAT practicing the exercises I was given- my face actually FEELS BETTER!

Come on Folks! There's STILL LOTS OF LIFE TO LIVE, even when you've passed your sixties!!!!

Valued Contributor

I don't understand how people can work to age 70 or so like the gov. thinks you can.  I retired at 55 with a lot of health problems.  I just got over having severe sepsis, which I could have died from. We always get dressed and go out to lunch every day.  We enjoy each other, married 54 yrs.  We just got done paying for our funerals so our daughters don't have to think about it in their grief.  We  just enjoy each day. 

Esteemed Contributor

Walked in to one of our evening dance groups and found out that either someone died or was suffering with incurable diseases (cancer) and had only weeks to live.  Then coming home to phone calls to find out neighbors were suffering the same fate.  I am not a person who gets depressed but this week was a real downer.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'd say, for me, it's the physical. At 68, I've already had two cancers, digestive tract problems, and knee osteoarthritis after a lifetime of working out. I have to go to many yearly check-ups to maintain my health. I'm at normal weight, eat healthfully, and exercise regularly. I continue with that regime in order to stave off what could be worse, but I've learned there are no guarantees.

My mother is 93. She has severe osteoarthritis and cardiac problems. For her, the psychological and emotional issues the follow from living long and having health problems are creating serious challenges. Many of her friends are gone and her mobility problems prevent her from socializing as much as she used to and as much as she'd like to. 

I think that for us newly minted senior citizens, the onset of physical problems is the hardest to deal with. As we age, those problems as well as social changes, bring psychological and emotional reactions to the fore. As Bette Davis said, " Growing old is not for sissies."

Respected Contributor

Good God!  This is a depressing thread.  OP, if that is how you really feel, I guarantee you will have an unhappy life.

Happiness is a choice. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I'm 81 and I feel great. Work out, do all my own gardening, etc. and so far no major issues. I must have inherited a good set of DNA. Now if there was a wrinkle remover that works.