Trusted Contributor

Late FYI-Old jack-o-lanterns

This might be a little late. Yesterday was trash day, I had to run some errands. I saw so many discarded Jack-O-Lanterns out for the trash pick-up. They could have been cut up and put out for the wild animals. I know, some people don't want to attrack wild animals, some municipalities don't permit it. But, if you like to feed them-don't overlook your old Jack-O-Lanterns and Indian corn!

Honored Contributor

Re: Late FYI-Old jack-o-lanterns

Good advice!  Homes in my neighborhood are all surrounded by woods.  We break our pumpkins up into pieces that can be enjoyed by the deer and other forest creatures.

Respected Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

This might be a little late. Yesterday was trash day, I had to run some errands. I saw so many discarded Jack-O-Lanterns out for the trash pick-up. They could have been cut up and put out for the wild animals. I know, some people don't want to attrack wild animals, some municipalities don't permit it. But, if you like to feed them-don't overlook your old Jack-O-Lanterns and Indian corn!

I agree if not wild animals I know livestock love pumpkins as well. I hate to see waste when it can go to some good.

Honored Contributor

I don't even break my pumpkin up.  I take it out back and set it at the edge of the woods.  It's totally gone within a month.  As it stands right now, the chipmunks and/or squirrels have been gnawing at it a bit while it's still on my front porch.  Actually, I wasn't sure it was going to last until Halloween! I had to be sure to place the "good side" out on Halloween night!

Trusted Contributor

I just put mine out on the compost pile and some of it is eaten by animals and some decays to compost.

Honored Contributor

Very good idea,also i heard you can cut them up,and give some of it to your dogs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Great ideas!     Also about dogs - great idea, as pumpkin is really good for them!  I give Ru a spoonful of pumpkin in his breakfast each morning and not only does he love it but I know it's very good for him.  Also birds 

I hate waste so this is always a drag to see that people just throw them away.   It's even sadder when people kill trees for christmas.   I don't do any of it, but I'm a huge advocate for fake trees.  It's beyond sad to see all these poor trees killed and thrown out on the curb when people are done with them.  Smiley Sad