Honored Contributor

Don't panic.

Don't worry.

Calm down.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

"Everybody's voice is important and should be heard." This is complete nonsense!!!!!! Just because someone has a voice, it does not naturally follow that whatever is said should be considered important nor should it necessarily be respected. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Don't panic.

Don't worry.

Calm down.

@Porcelain , Yeah, that never works. 😏

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

True Confession:

I've fallen in to the trap of using some of these ridiculous adages that have been shared in this post when I'm in an awkward or uncomfortable position. 

Now, I just let them know I do care and am willing to talk if they wish. I just hug the person or pat them on the back, or shake their hand. That's all. No need to put my spin on the situation for what they themselves are experiencing.

Most of the time they are grateful for your appearance, not for what you've said.

dee

@deedledeedeedle , I agree. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

What I thought was the worst advice ever from my dad, turned out to be the right advice. Some 50 years ago when I was in my early 20s, I asked my parents to loan me $1,000 for a down payment on a house. My dad told me that he'd advise me to save more money to buy what I wanted. He countered by also telling me if I really needed the money right now, I'd have to sign a loan agreement with him and pay him back with interest! I was devastated that he would require all of that - I said no. Turns out it was the best advice....I saved more diligently and had enough $$ for a larger down payment on a house. Thank you, Dad for helping me to be self-sufficient.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

"Everybody's voice is important and should be heard." This is complete nonsense!!!!!! Just because someone has a voice, it does not naturally follow that whatever is said should be considered important nor should it necessarily be respected. 

Isn't that the usually unspoken truth, @Goldengate8361 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@suzyQ3 , The tricky part is who decides ?

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

i can't handle it when someone close to me dies.....i'm told they're in a better place....i have just recently started to speak up....telling them....no, they're not.......they should be here with me........

Esteemed Contributor

"don't take it personally"

I'm a person  how am I supposed to take it?

I know I've used some of the phrases.  I'll think it more before I speak.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@suzyQ3 , The tricky part is who decides ?

The listener, @QVCkitty1, I definitely could give you many examples of speech that I neither consider important (meaning helpful to anyone) nor respectable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland