Esteemed Contributor

Did they say where Woody Allen was tonight that he couldn't accept his own award? (Not that I missed him, just wondering because I scanned through the Globe show and saw Diane Keaton praising him and accepting the big award). Also his son from Mia posted a bad comment about him. (You can google it I'm not posting it here). Anyway I don't see the thrill of most of his movies and I think he is a terrible person, and I don't see why Hollywood gushes over him time and time again. Maybe I am in the minority but I don't get it?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

Woody never attends / accepts awards.

Respected Contributor

Woody's movies are brilliant. The music he uses is inspired.

Super Contributor

He never attends award ceremonies, he's a germaphobe, among other things. It was decided long ago that Diane Keaton would accept the award on his behalf, since she is his friend. I think he is a perv and doesn't deserve any accolades, but Hollywood is a strange place.

Frequent Contributor
On 1/13/2014 insomniac said:

Woody's movies are brilliant. The music he uses is inspired.

ditto

Honored Contributor

I never really cared for his movies.

Super Contributor

They were acknowledging his amazing body of creative work, not applauding his personal indiscretions. With one of two exceptions he has amassed a most impressive curriculum vitae.

If honoring or appreciating genius in art were dependent on the artist also having a spotless personal life, then we'd need to remove a lot of books from our libraries and paintings/sculptures from our museums. We'd all be the lesser for it.

Personally, I think in RL Mr Allen is a creep, but his creative genius cannot be ignored.

Esteemed Contributor

Ashamed to be seen in public, I think.

Frequent Contributor
On 1/13/2014 Linders Back said:

They were acknowledging his amazing body of creative work, not applauding his personal indiscretions. With one of two exceptions he has amassed a most impressive curriculum vitae.

If honoring or appreciating genius in art were dependent on the artist also having a spotless personal life, then we'd need to remove a lot of books from our libraries and paintings/sculptures from our museums. We'd all be the lesser for it.

Personally, I think in RL Mr Allen is a creep, but his creative genius cannot be ignored.

AGree--- Except other than the situation of falling in love with and marrying the daughter of his girlfriend how many of the "indiscretions" were proven and how many were made up by Mia Farrow and fed to her young children til they believed them? Some things I read said Farrow is imbalanced and went off the deep end with jealousy and was determined to try to ruin Woody--- did he have any proven "indiscretions" before or after Farrow? Just food for thought--- seems like being presumed guilty without trial or conviction.

Esteemed Contributor

There were/are many creeps and pervs in the arts. That doesn't make their art any less worthy of praise and recognition. jmo