Honored Contributor

Wonder why Amazon does this?

[ Edited ]

Made a recent order on Amazon, a few things were shipped separately  which was totally fine. But one thing

that was delayed showed it was delivered Saturday, but 

it wasnt.

I was concerned it went to the wrong address but when

I looked on the Amazon site to see what to do, it said

that sometimes it will say delivered and might not actually be for at least 48 hours.

This is odd. Does anyone know why they do this??

Wonder if people call them thinking that they didnt get their order  at the correct address?!  Im glad that I looked at the site first!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wonder why Amazon does this?

Seems to me they just scan things ahead of time.  I've had this happen to me and the item always ends up getting delivered in a day or two.  Also my UPS guy told me sometimes items are on the trucks and they don't get to that area that day so it will get delivered when they go out again the next day or so.  Shipping is getting crazy as we know, they all need to hire more delivery people.

Respected Contributor

Recently everything I order from Amazon has a picture of it sitting on my front porch. A good idea really. I sent something to my sister and there was a picture of it on a porch. Not hers though. She was able to track it down at a house near by.

Honored Contributor

I haven't had that problem with anything from Amazon, but I have had it happen a few times with deliveries from UPS or FedEx.  Especially when I'm getting more than one package in the same delivery.  Sometimes it gets scanned as delivered but is left on the truck by mistake.  I've had a couple that were supposed to go UPS to USPS but said UPS would deliver early and didn't, so they finally did end up coming from the post office. I had one FedEx order that was supposedly delivered at noon, but didn't actually show up at my door until 4pm.

These packages get scanned at so many different stages of delivery, sometimes there are errors made.  I've learned to wait a couple of days for actual delivery before I start inquiries.

I agree that now with more orders and fewer employees, more mistakes will be made.  Along with longer delivery times.  

Regular Contributor

this has been happening to me more and more lately.  Just last week I ordered 4 things. Each one shipped separately (which is an annoyance to me - wasteful packaging) but two of the items I still haven't received.  Like you CherryHugs I looked at my order and it said "on its way - deilvery on July 1st."  Not sure what is going on.  Maybe they are getting backed up again??

Esteemed Contributor

@demanda Wasteful packaging..............4 things you ordered doesn't mean all 4 come from the same warehouse.  Don't know what you ordered but.....after Amazon gave up on NYC distribution center .they are now building a huge (bought a golf course) distribution center in the center of NYS....and announced another smaller one in another suburb.  I assume you'd like all 4 get to you properly packaged and in good condition. 

The bulldozers  are plowing dirt as we type.

Respected Contributor

Yes, Amazon deliveries depend on what distribution site the item is shipping from, which is why some items are separate and arrive at different times. 

I've had part of a larger order delivered and maybe one item posted as delayed, only to wind up delivered a few hours later. At other times, I've had delays up to three days and that's on Prime.  Once, I even got a --delivery truck issues-- notice. 

This week, part of an order was missing, when it had been shipped and should have arrived with other items. These items were coming from a distribution site in my own state.

One item was tagged, delayed, for processing by Custom's Officials,  and that UPS would likely need more information from me. I contacted Amazon online and the rep said she'd never heard of such with a local delivery, but she was very nice and offered contact numbers, etc. 

So, I went online to UPS, since it seems no one is answering the phone anymore and left info about the package contents, etc.  It was released the next day, but in all, I was dealing with the mess for over 30 minutes. And, get this it was just for two lip balms that I can't find locally.  Although shipping takes a lifetime, I've ordered from China with less of a hassle.

I remain an Ammy fan.  The way they move product is amazing.  Right now, the warehouse and delivery folks have my sympathy.  They're really under stress.  

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Made a recent order on Amazon, a few things were shipped separately  which was totally fine. But one thing

that was delayed showed it was delivered Saturday, but 

it wasnt.

I was concerned it went to the wrong address but when

I looked on the Amazon site to see what to do, it said

that sometimes it will say delivered and might not actually be for at least 48 hours.

This is odd. Does anyone know why they do this??

Wonder if people call them thinking that they didnt get their order  at the correct address?!  Im glad that I looked at the site first!

Is Amazon or UPS/USPS doing the actual delivery of your orders?

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@demanda Wasteful packaging..............4 things you ordered doesn't mean all 4 come from the same warehouse.  Don't know what you ordered but.....after Amazon gave up on NYC distribution center .they are now building a huge (bought a golf course) distribution center in the center of NYS....and announced another smaller one in another suburb.  I assume you'd like all 4 get to you properly packaged and in good condition. 

The bulldozers  are plowing dirt as we type.

What???  @demanda , where is this going up?  I live in Rochester (so a bit west of "center"), but this is the first I've heard of this.  You've got me wondering!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee They tried to keep it a secret but because of the huge size and buying the Liverpool Golf Course a year ago - we knew.  At the end of Morgan Rd and the bypass to route 57.   Easy on-off Thruway but trucks and traffic has neighborhood upset.  Perhaps 100 per day

Last week another announced being (smaller) build in Cicero/Dewitt town lines.