Esteemed Contributor

Re: With the big storm moving through much of the east.....

Reading all the responses i have to say i do most of those preparations also....one other thing my family does is to help ease some of the driveway shoveling...we park our vehicles all at the end of the driveway in a line....which helps with not having to shovel the whole driveway before any vehicle can get out.  Once the road is plowed the toughest part is shoveling the end where the plow went through and then the sides of the vehicles.....we then can

at least get the vehicles out....and take our time shoveling the rest of the driveway.

Esteemed Contributor

We must have coffee so I brew a pot and put it in the thermos.  That way no one has to die!!

Good ideas mentioned but nothing will keep me from being ticked off if the power goes off!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have A LOT of extra batteries on hand, get different sizes, those you use most often.

Invest in LED lanterns, I bought several at the beginning of winter and we have already had two power outages.  I have two that don't need batteries, they use a hand crank and will also charge cell phones.

Get out your flameless candles to keep going at night in your bathroom or hallways.

I bought small magnetic LED room and flashlight combos and keep one on the side of the frig so I know where it is.

Buy an inexpensive old phone.  They work during a power out and you won't need to run down your smartphone.

Invest in a large charger for your smartphone and make sure it's fully charged.

Keep protein bars on hand, just in case.

STOCK UP ON PET FOOD for cats and dogs, plus any meds they may need, or you may need.

Trusted Contributor

got me to thinking, everytime they predict massive storms of any kind whether it's snow, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods....

people do go out and clean out store shelves not just to prepare for a few days but it seems weeks and weeks. Then in 90% of the cases, the storms do not pan out as massive as predicted.

I wonder if anyone has stocked up and found out later they now have bunches of stuff they didn't need. Being prepared is smart but sometimes seeing the way people stock up you'd think they were planning to live in an underground bunker for months.

Years ago there was a massive blackout due to something on the power grid, can't remember, it was around the mid 2000's maybe, without power for 5 days. It was pretty bad but I don't remember having stockpiles of stuff, the worse part was once it got dark there wasn't much to do except go to bed, no tvc, no radio, no internet, nothing. But we still had water so toileting and bathing were fine.

I see people saying they are getting lots of water, can I ask why? if your power goes out, what do you need jugs of water for? I don't understand that. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl Pipes burst in cold weather plus you can get run off which can contaminate the water supply.  Hence the jugs and bath tub water.  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@60sgirl Pipes burst in cold weather plus you can get run off which can contaminate the water supply.  Hence the jugs and bath tub water.  

@Laura14 ah, I see. that makes sense then. I wrap my pipes with insulation so that never has happened but now that you said it, frozen pipes can burst. They say the solution for that is to leave the faucets with a slow drip so water is moving. Of course your water bill will go up but better than paying a plumber to replace frozen pipes.

thank you for the reply.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14 ah, I see. that makes sense then. I wrap my pipes with insulation so that never has happened but now that you said it, frozen pipes can burst. They say the solution for that is to leave the faucets with a slow drip so water is moving. Of course your water bill will go up but better than paying a plumber to replace frozen pipes.

thank you for the reply.

In addition to keeping the water at a trickle to prevent exterior pipes from freezing, if they are in a base cabinet like a sink, keep the doors open so the air from the room enters the cabinet and raises the temperature inside that cabinet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl We have a well. If electricity goes out, there is no flushing or showers and water from the faucet. We learned quickly that a generator was a very good purchase.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many reasons to stockpile safe drinking water or water in general, but the main one cited here in the DC area is the tendency for weather like this and the age of the water system's pipes to cause water main breaks.

A water main burst in bad weather isn't likely to get repaired too quickly.  And if power is out, water can't be boiled for safe drinking.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

We must have coffee so I brew a pot and put it in the thermos.  That way no one has to die!!

Good ideas mentioned but nothing will keep me from being ticked off if the power goes off!!!

I'll add that I also fill insulated carafes with hot water and when I use the grill or camp stove I heat more water.  Being able to wash your hands with warm water throughout the day, and especially first thing in the morning, can be a true luxury.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.