Honored Contributor

Re: With the big storm moving through much of the east.....

one thing I read and works well is to fill up plastic milk jugs with water and freeze them and use them in a cooler as big ice packs if the power fails. they stay frozen much longer.

I ended up doing this and recommend it

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of things in addition to what's already been mentioned - 

Light sticks - I always keep a supply of these for electrical outages.  They last 12 hours and don't use batteries or fire.  I use them at night like nightlights and put them in various rooms so we can see where we're going.    

Sterno and Sterno stove for heating up water or food. Many of the camping stoves cannot be used indoors.  

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

A couple of things in addition to what's already been mentioned - 

Light sticks - I always keep a supply of these for electrical outages.  They last 12 hours and don't use batteries or fire.  I use them at night like nightlights. i usually put one in our bedroom and bathroom so we can see where we're going if we have to get up.  

Sterno and Sterno stove for heating up water or food. Many of the camping stoves cannot be used indoors.  

True, because of the carbon monoxide emissions.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I am not anywhere near the storm but will remind folks to remember the pets/animals.  have their food supplied and a warm dry place for them to saty. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I am not anywhere near the storm but will remind folks to remember the pets/animals.  have their food supplied and a warm dry place for them to saty. 

And do what you can for our feathered friends also, please.  Hoping I can shovel out a path to the feeders early on to keep some food going for them.

Honored Contributor

I am always prepared with plenty of food for us and our dogs, water, flashlights, lanterns, oil lamps, battery candles, etc.   We are on public water now, but I still have gallon jugs, and cases of bottled water.   We have a whole house generator to run our heat pump, refrigerators and freezer.  The gas grill is always ready to fire up for cooking if needed.  All cell phones are fully charged.  

I have not been inside a grocery store since Dec 22nd, but we will get thru this storm just fine.   When I shop for groceries, I always shop ahead, not just focus on shopping for what I need now.  In all honesty, we have enough food in this house to eat well for many months yet.  The only item on my grocery list that we would need soon, is eggs.  I had 7 dozen in the spare fridge at Thanksgiving, and am down to my last 6 eggs.   

I am content to sit inside in my pajamas and look out the window for the next few days.  I don't need to go anywhere, or do anything.  Prayers for all to be safe and warm in the rough days ahead.   

Honored Contributor

I don't see what all the fuss is.  Everyone should be prepared for things like this at all times.  We always have food, tp and plenty of blankets, water and lanterns.  Four of our lanterns are crank lanterns and they are great as each also has a USB port.  We always keep several large containers of frozen water in each freezer.  We have many lanterns, flameless candles, etc.  We also have two car battery chargers that can be used to plug in things if needed.  Our gas stove can be lit manually also.

Respected Contributor

I don't agree that the DC area has never seen as much snow depth as is predicted this time.  We had a couple feet just about 5 years ago.

It has been impossible to walk anywhere because snow has been up to my hips on a couple of occasions. One time my son got stranded at a friend's house and we didn't see him for a week.  Our street did not get cleared like it does now, so there was no way for anyone to bring him home or go pick him up.  When he was finally driven home by the family that had kept him, they had to stop their car down the street and let him out, because our street was too deep in snow.

About 30 years ago, we woke up one morning to a couple feet of surprise snow (because forecasters weren't as good back then).   It was April, and I had a baby due in about two weeks.  Scary time! The fence across the street was buried completely.  The only way we could open any door to get out was to lift the garage doors straight up.  The porches were buried.  No ambulance could have reached us.

One odd thing about weather in the D.C. area is its unevenness------a storm can bury or thrash some neighborhoods and only graze or completely blow past others not far away.    Maybe I just happen to be in the group that has seen the deepest snow.

Honored Contributor

When i was little we lived on a farm andc had a well and a pump. as soon as a storm was predicted my mother would fill up her largest pots with water for us to drink and the bathtub with water so we could wash and flush.

Respected Contributor

Oh my, gotta hand it to the poster who has not been grocery shopping since Dec. 22nd. If I was so lucky...!  Good planning and strategy.