Esteemed Contributor

Re: Will there ever be a tipping point to the number of reality shows?

I dumped my cable 2 yrs ago. I bought a Leaf Mohu antenna. Yes, a good old fashioned antenna. Simple to install, I get about 15 channels even here in Northern Podunk and pay for none of them.

Realized I only watch a bit of the news & weather. There are no shows I sit down to watch. I do enjoy PBS. Everything else is online.

What is $60 a mo x 2+ years of savings? The antenna was $60.

Respected Contributor

I doubt it, I think we will see more and more every season and it goes without saying they will be dumber and more ridiculous every season.  I can see it now....a new must see reality show.....Naked People Watching Wet Paint Dry.  And it will be a block buster! LOL   No, it does not speak well for our society....LOL  I'm certainly not MENSA candidate and I like things that fun to watch and that have no redeeming social value.  I wont ever admit that watch shows like that but I do have a a couple of favorite reality shows.  But some of them are so tacky or so brainless or so pointless or so cheap and disgusting that I wouldn't watch them if they paid me to watch.  I just lost my focus....cranky old lady in her 50's....really?  Someone actually thinks 50 is old....LOL

Trusted Contributor

Reality shows I think are scripted . Real Housewives no matter where they are They fight all the time or snarky and gossip about each other.  Who does this? If you don't like the company I leave not going to start a cat fight. All the K family I don't care who they marry, live with or how many babies they have. People love them. They do nothing with their lives but promote themselves. The list goes on and on . Waste of time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably not because they are super cheap to make.

I remember when Oprah started her OWN network, one of the reasons she claimed to have started it was because of all the reality shows on the other channels. 

Well, her channel is full of reality shows and has been since the beginning.  LOL

Honored Contributor

It's tough to find a decent show/movie some nights.  I refuse to get premium channels and pay more.  I find something else to do.

Respected Contributor

I like "The Little Couple" and I don't think it's scripted.

But who knows.

Do we count shows like AGT or other

competitions as reality TV?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

I like "The Little Couple" and I don't think it's scripted.

But who knows.

Do we count shows like AGT or other

competitions as reality TV?

I think The Little Couple is fading out.  We wait and wait for it to return, then they have 2-3 episodes and it's gone again for months.  I don't think Jen and Bill want to be bothered with it anymore.  They're busy with the kids now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I hope so but I wish that magical number was one (or even zero).

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

It boggles the mind the shows they keep developing. I'm running out of channels to turn to for just plain good quality shows other than documentaries on nature or watching TCM, PBS and the like...

Many nights DH and I watch DVD's of old shows and movies because we can't find anything new on that is wholesome enough for our enjoyment. I sound like a cranky old lady in my mid 50's, but I can't help it......

I love reality tv, doubt it is going away any time soon.........

Esteemed Contributor

I have plenty of "reality" in my life without watching it on TV.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines