Honored Contributor

I believe in treating maskless people with civility and compassion. I also avoid them like the plague, literally. I don't want their breath on me.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I believe in treating maskless people with civility and compassion. I also avoid them like the plague, literally. I don't want their breath on me.

You are very kind.  I've always thought that of myself but when I see such people I don't feel compassion.  I would always be civil because I think they may be belligerent at the get-go, I would avoid them completely.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why wear a mask?

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Yes, we should have been wearing masks all along, just as Sanjai Gupta said long ago.

Funny you should say this because I remember hearing commercials from him for up to a week after the CDC recommended wearing a mask saying that you only need to wear one IF you were sick.  

@mimomof4 -

Ok I'll raise you this!

Maybe but he was one of the first to say everyone should wear a mask and we should all act as if we had the virus!!

Unlike some in high postiions who still don't!

Regardless, of all this, I do think the pleas from the surgeon general originally for the public not to wear masks so there would be enough for first responders, and that they really would not help to keep well people safe from getting the virus would not have happened if we had had enough masks to go around.

So no politics involved, That was just a shame and I guess we all feel safer if those who are sick with or without virus symptoms wear a mask, and it sure can't hurt for us all to. Plus none of us know if we are carriers.

For those who can't wear masks, wear a shield.

No one "likes" wearing a mask!

And yes I hope it doesn't last forever either.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I am used to masks by now, if not for hours.   I just look to maybe getting fun masks, that helps.  Also, during cold season it should be protective.  Especially at gym  not that it will absolutely orevent virus or colds, but it can help  I am in for gloves as well in certain places.  I found some cute gloves of my moms from the 50's ad 60's.  Got compliments to.  What I noticed is I was amazed at the dirt on my gloves when I went to grocery store before we had shelter in place here in California  the gloves got dirty touching things in the store.    I now where museum gloves and toss them after use.  I haven't been out but once sinceMarch 2,

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I am used to masks by now, if not for hours.   I just look to maybe getting fun masks, that helps.  Also, during cold season it should be protective.  Especially at gym  not that it will absolutely orevent virus or colds, but it can help  I am in for gloves as well in certain places.  I found some cute gloves of my moms from the 50's ad 60's.  Got compliments to.  What I noticed is I was amazed at the dirt on my gloves when I went to grocery store before we had shelter in place here in California  the gloves got dirty touching things in the store.    I now where museum gloves and toss them after use.  I haven't been out but once sinceMarch 2,

Funny, just this morning the CDC changed its position and says the Coronavirus "does not spread easily" via contaminated surfaces.  Guess those gloves and hords of Clorox wipes were not as necessary as first reported.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I only wear a mask when I am required to. That means in stores and when delivering Meals on Wheels only. If I have to go to the doctor's office or emergency room, I will also. Other than that, no way. It's hard to breathe if I have one on for more than a few minutes. They are unnecessary outside as long as you maintain a safe distance from other people. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy ...Yep....I read the news online early yesterday morning  about the quiet roll of out the new guideline on the virus and surfaces....

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Funny, just this morning the CDC changed its position and says the Coronavirus "does not spread easily" via contaminated surfaces.  Guess those gloves and hords of Clorox wipes were not as necessary as first reported.

Honored Contributor

Wearing a non medical mask everywhere in public, whether it's necessary or not is the epitome of virtue signaling, "I care"   "It's for the good of others"     "I'm protecting others"

A mask gives a false sense of security.   

I'm in the category of those over 65 with underlying (several!) health issues.

I've never had the flu, I never got the H1N1 either.  Never worn a mask.

I attribute it to the fact that I keep myself and my environment clean.   It's disturbing to me that the simple process of regular handwashing & cleaning/wiping surfaces is lost on the majority of people.   I've been doing social distancing for years.   I don't go to places where there are mobs of people.   I keep my distance & I want others to stay away from me also.

I have a can of Lysol spray & wipes in every room in my house as well as at my desk at work, before I retired.   There's a reason we should keep our environment clean and it's not for the magazine pics or to impress the Martha Steward types.   it's for sanitation.  Anywhere in the world where there are terrible health problems, diseases & poor health, etc it goes directly back to lack of sanitation.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I have no problem physically shunning--walking away from--anyone without a mask.  Yes, I make assumptions about them and don't ever want to engage with such a person again.  All jerks.

No, they aren't all jerks. There are some people who have valid medical reasons not to. Hostility and generalization gets us nowhere.