Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I am proudly wearing my camo-patterned fabric mask sewed by a Gold-Star mother.  They were sold by the local Gold-Star mothers group to support military families in need.  Attached to the outer packaging was the hand-written message "Be a patriot, wear this mask to keep Americans safe." 

Good marketing!  Patriotism sells in many circles.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I am proudly wearing my camo-patterned fabric mask sewed by a Gold-Star mother.  They were sold by the local Gold-Star mothers group to support military families in need.  Attached to the outer packaging was the hand-written message "Be a patriot, wear this mask to keep Americans safe." 

@deepwaterdotter  Is there a way to purchase from these ladies if you don't live locally? Is there a way to find them in every state? I would LOVE to purchase masks from them!! Thank you for any info you can provide. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@BadWolf This is absolutely true. And, even those without respiratory challenges can have issues, if they wear them while exercising.

I read recently of a jogger who had a collapsed lung while running with a mask on. Don't know why he felt the need to run with a mask on.  Masks are a great tool for prevention, but can cause problems, too. Maybe just a loose, more breathable scarf around the face would be an alternative where masks are mandated. Not optimal, but something.

Also, I'm seeing children too young to be wearing a mask. They aren't recommended for kids two and under, unless doc supports.  Some say three and under. They apparently don't have the lung vital capacity to handle occlusiveness of the masks. 

Valued Contributor

@BadWolf wrote:

You all do realize that some people with respiratory issues cannot wear masks don't you?  Please don't assume anyone without a mask is simply a rebel out to kill you!

Then it is even more important for those who can wear a mask to do so.  This will lessen the probabilty that those who cannot wear a mask will become infected.  We have to start thinking about more than just ourselves.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Yes, we should have been wearing masks all along, just as Sanjai Gupta said long ago.

I'm wonder when that was?

Back on Feb. 29, his Twitter account (via CNN?) says they aren't necessary.  I'm not officially quoting him and have no idea how to do a link, but I read it as:

'Lots of questions about masks.  Here is the difference between a surgical mask and an N95 respirator.  Neither are necessary for healthy people unless you are a healthcare worker.'

Now I believe it was around April 1st that he along with the CDC, the WHO, the Surgeon General and many other public health officials were considering advising the public to wear masks.

For the record, I have NO problem wearing a mask and don't care if I have to wear one for an extended period of time.

Respected Contributor

Aren't we all just used to it by now?  We all hate it.  Nobody enjoys wearing it.  But it's just part of life right now.  Some people get obsessed over it.  They need to just chill, and wear when necessary.  No biggie.  

Honored Contributor

I will probably wear a mask now  and  into the future.  This will not be the last virus and with the world the way it is with all the travel from country to country... we will have many future pandemics I am sure.

Honored Contributor

I prefer to keep "social distancing" which, with the streets so empty, has been easy to do.  I wear a mask when required to enter a store.  Otherwise, I literally cannot breathe with it on, am extremely claustrophobic.  I hope people aren't assuming that because they're wearing a mask, they're safe.

Respected Contributor

To the nay sayers re: wearing masks.  Do you know anyone who has had covid19?? My ds has a friend, young, athletic, in great shape who had the virus. His mood case was this..cough, severe muscle pain, high fevers that would make him shake uncontrollably, severe malaise., difficulty breathing.he was not hospitalized, but is still recovering a month later. 

That is why we wear masks, to protect others.he decided he picked it up at the grocery store where very few had masks.

justvsayin.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Yes, we should have been wearing masks all along, just as Sanjai Gupta said long ago.

Funny you should say this because I remember hearing commercials from him for up to a week after the CDC recommended wearing a mask saying that you only need to wear one IF you were sick.