Honored Contributor

Re: Why does QVC target the older consumer .....

On 6/30/2014 happy housewife said:

I don't know when you went to college but when I went you either got a scholarship or you would have to get a loan. Most scholarships do not pay anything but the students tuition anyway so those kids who have them either have to work to pay their additional expenses or get loans anyway. My DH went to college on a sports scholarship and he also worked the entire time - go to school, play sports and make all your practices plus have a job is not a good life but when he graduated he was debt free. I went to nursing school on a scholastic scholarship and still had to work also to pay my expenses. Very few of my friend's kids who are in college work at all now a days - they just take out loans and then don't pay them back.

Also many times scholarships are only partial and don't even pay your entire tuition.

That was 40 or 50 years ago. Times change, you need to keep up.

Check the chart from Bloomberg and do a little research, you're stuck in a time-warp.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

College graduates today do have exorbitant debt. I spent the last 10 years of my career, teaching AP Calculus. One thing struck me, most students put no monetary limitations on their education. Rather than go to a less expensive state school and be part of their honors program, they wanted to go to to a "prestige" school, regardless of how many loans they or their parents had to take out. Forget about going to community college for 2 years then transferring to a 4 year college.

It seems neither parents nor counselors suggest more affordable and realistic alternatives.

Super Contributor

Cause they have time to sit at home and watch TV during the day, since they don't work full time anymore?????
Honored Contributor

It is as simple as this - i knew from day one if I wanted to go to college I had to find a way to pay for it myself . So i worked very very hard and made the grades plus had activities that won me that scholarship plus I had after school jobs all the way through HS and saved most of what i earned. It is rare now a days to see HS kids who are doing anything toward planning for how they will pay for college - occasionally but it is rare.

Honored Contributor

More available credit would be my guess.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Wish all teens ready to go to college aspire to be like Noel.

Super Contributor

On 6/30/2014 NoelSeven said:

Ok - I know that some here will find fault with this article just because it was written in AARP mag - too bad they can't see the point of the article because they are too busy hating the messenger.

Please, not another pity party.

I agree with the article. The younger generation is saddled with college loans, home loans and car loans.

Just a home loan for me.

Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 Opurrra said:

They can aspire all they want, but they won't be able to do it, not living on minimum wage and on their own.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

It is as simple as this - i knew from day one if I wanted to go to college I had to find a way to pay for it myself . So i worked very very hard and made the grades plus had activities that won me that scholarship plus I had after school jobs all the way through HS and saved most of what i earned. It is rare now a days to see HS kids who are doing anything toward planning for how they will pay for college - occasionally but it is rare.

Did you ever watch house hunters?

Most of the young "brides" featured on that lame show met their husbands in college, graduated and then immediately started a family and became stay at home moms rather than start a career. And they're house hunting for Mc mansions rather than building a nest egg.

edited by me

Super Contributor

On 6/30/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 6/30/2014 Opurrra said:

They can aspire all they want, but they won't be able to do it, not living on minimum wage and on their own.

I did it. *shrug* Paid off my student loans 20 years early, bought a house, have a paid-for car and I'm making twice as much as we ever had growing up.