Valued Contributor

Re: Why am I seeing so little change in posts???

I have made changes under the various Preferences categories and my main page now looks as close to the way I had the old forum set as possible. Maybe some of what I've done will help some of you.

Under Display select Linear format (which is the default)

Uncheck Use relative dates

Under Topic List View Style select List

Save any changes then go to General and place a check in the box for Sort topics by time of most recent post.

Save any changes then go to Linear Layout Settings and choose which way you want things sorted, how many topics per page you would like to see (this is for the main page where all topics are listed) and set how many posts per topic you would like to see (this is for how many posts make a page inside a topic you are reading).

If you want to immediately go to the first unread post in a topic when you return to it check Jump to first unread post in a topic.

Save any changes then go to topic layout and choose your preferred sorting order and match the posts per page and posts per topic to the numbers you chose in the linear layout section.

Save any changes then go to Home Page Settings. If you check the box Show the Latest Topics then on the main page topic titles will be shown but not the list of the first few posts to the topic. If you select Show the Latest Posts component then after the thread title there will be a listing of several posts. IMO that added to the cluttered look of the main page.

Save any changes.

Don't be afraid to experiment because there is a box right next to the save that says reset so if you do something and don't like the results just return to that page and click on reset.  Any changes you made to that page will return to the way things were before you made the change.

Esteemed Contributor

Good stuff, you said exactly how I feel. This is just not fun anymore. I don't think I will be posting or reading as often . I feel with all the complaints the Q would get the point and just call this new format quits!!! After all can't they see their is very little activity?! We are the ones spending the money..........Think about it .........
Trusted Contributor

I was wondering the same thing.

Respected Contributor

I think fewer people are posting because of this new set up. I have responded to a few posts and can't even find them. I really hope they are working on this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited to add: The info below might already be common knowledge (I can't recall if this feature was a default under Preferences or not), but I've seen posts from people who've mentioned they weren't seeing the little symbols/icons located to the left of each thread title.  And because I can't remember if this was already a default under Preferences, I decided to post the info.  Please excuse, if everyone is already seeing the symbols/icons next to thread titles.  TIA

I just wanted to add something to what @Marp2 has already mentioned about Preferences.  I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but there's an option that lets you know - at a glance - what threads you've already read or threads that have new content added since you've last read, and/or threads you have replied to.  The feature adds a tiny symbol/icon to the left of each thread title.

It can be found under Display Settings:

- Go to My Settings 

- Click Preferences

- Click Display

- Look to the right side of page, and scroll down to "Show folder icons for new posts and hot or read-only topics."   Check the box located to the right of the text.  

- Click coral/red Save button at the bottom of the page.

The 3 main symbols/icons look similar to the images below (but much, much smaller), and will be located to the left of each thread title

• The white "speech bubble" indicates you've read/viewed the thread.
  • The gray "speech bubble" indicates you haven't read/viewed the thread OR new content has been added since you've viewed/read.
  • The "arrow" indicates you've posted a reply to the thread (also, if new content has been added since you replied).

Once you've activated this feature, if you place your mouse cursor over the tiny symbols/icons located to the left of each thread title, it will give you a short description of the symbol/icon:

White "speech bubble" = Hot Topic - or - Topic

Gray "speech bubble" = Hot Topic with new content - or - Topic with new content

Reply arrow = Hot Topic - you replied - or - Hot Topic with new content - you replied (it may just state Topic instead of Hot Topic)

I think the "Hot Topic" vs "Topic" is related to the number of replies a thread receives.

You might also see a little "lock" symbol/icon, which means a moderator has "locked" the thread, and has blocked additional replies OR the moderator has removed the thread, yet left the thread Title.  (I've seen where a Mod has locked a thread, but allowed the replies to remain, and I've also seen where a Mod has locked the thread, and then removed the entire thread - except for the title - from the forum).  If you place your cursor over the lock symbol / icon, the text states: Hot Read-Only Topic 

Anyway, just wanted to share, in case some of you weren't aware of this helpful feature. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why am I seeing so little ...

Marp2, I Like Celery, thanks for your tips. I went into my settings and changed them! ❤️
Respected Contributor

It's summer as well.  I spend a lot more time outside in my yard and I'm sure some spend more time with their kids, vacations etc.

I'm sure the majority are frustrated and posting, but considering how long people complained and fussed over the last small change is any one really surprised? I believe that's when the idea of the other board came about?  

People will either come back or they won't, all boards are the same way. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

My settings were not adjusted right and it took  me a while to get it the way I wanted. I find it hard to navagate preferences, settings and personal info. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:
Marp2, I Like Celery, thanks for your tips. I went into my settings and changed them! ❤️

I hope the changes are to your liking and that they work out well for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Marp2, I am on my computer now.  I even uploaded some photosSmiley Very Happy!  Thanks a million.  This looks almost like the old forum with the changes you suggested.

Trying an upload here...yes!  It works.  If I can find a heart, it's yours lol.  LM

IPAD PHOTOS TO AUG 2014 622.JPGIPAD PHOTOS TO AUG 2014 176.JPG