Respected Contributor

Why not enough face masks for heath care workers?

I thought the gov kept enuf of these for at least the beginning of a pandemic.  Am I wrong?

Honored Contributor

That would be a reasonable expectation 😏

Honored Contributor

Re: Why No Face Masks?

[ Edited ]

I heard today that everyone is buying face masks and places are selling out. People are stocking up and hoarding them. IF they continue to do this, the Surgeon General said there will be a Shortage for HealthCare workers that need them! Smiley Sad  I keep hearing they will not protect anyone from the virus!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Actually I heard that the face masks really don't keep "you" from germs, it keeps your germs from other people!

Respected Contributor

Re: Why No Face Masks?

[ Edited ]

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it's responding to "the first possible outbreak" of the respiratory illness in a long-term care center in Washington. The death was not associated with that facility.

Health officials in Washington said 27 patients and 25 staff members at the center have symptoms associated with COVID-19.

The Life Care Center of Kirkland said in a statement that new patients and visitors were being turned away, and patients and staff "with symptoms or who were potentially exposed are quarantined."

The person who died was a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions, and there was no evidence he contracted the virus through travel, health officials said. They suspect domestic "community spread" of the disease, a new phase for the United States 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/1st-coronavirus-death-u-s-officials-say-n1145931 

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I thought the gov kept enuf of these for at least the beginning of a pandemic.  Am I wrong?

@KarenQVC    Because individuals are buying huge quantities of them and hoarding them, perhaps to resell at exorbitant prices.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@KarenQVC    Because individuals are buying huge quantities of them and hoarding them, perhaps to resell at exorbitant prices.

That's one way to really make a killing! *rimshot*

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I would assume health care entities have their own suppliers and don't have to get their masks at Walmart or Amazon. Right?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I would assume health care entities have their own suppliers and don't have to get their masks at Walmart or Amazon. Right?

Yes but they probably all buy from the same source.  If Walmart and Amazon's orders are draining the supply chain then you have a shortage in the making.

Honored Contributor

It's because folks are stockpiling them, thinking that they'll help them.  But from what I've read, it's the sick folks who need to wear the masks, not the well peopls.  As a result of this "hoarding" the people who really need to wear them might soon be unable to readily get them.  I've read several articles and have heard several doctor interviews on TV.  Again.....wearing the mask isn't going to protect you from getting the virus.  The people who need to wear the masks, again, are those who are sick.  And the health care workers most definitely need them.