Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why Do We Like Retirement?

@StylishLady wrote:

We are extremely fortunate. The concept of retirement that many of us have these days did not exist a few decades ago and may not exist for our children and grandchildren. DH and I live our lifestyle, and it is not lavish by any means, because of his generous pension plan and the ability to draw social security funds. Enjoy it while it lasts.

My younger brother worked for a company that matched what you put into a retirement fund, dollar for dollar!

Not out there today!

Mine wasn't that good but I retired at 53 with free life and hosp insurance till I went on Medicare and a pension for life. 

Trusted Contributor

@truffle, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Dan. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That'sfunny. lol..I guess if you work to retirement age you will love being retired (well most anyway)

I haven't been able t work for the past 15 years b.c of my back injury and I wish I could work. My brother who worked for a huge corporation as a computer analyst was just told to transfer to CA or take a package deal. He took the deal and retired but he got a Part time job. He wants to keep busy besides the traveling him and his wife have always done. He hates retirement too...lol..Our dad worked till he was 77 because he wanted to also. (our mom passed away young or she would have worked as long as she could too).

So anyway, some people love retirement and others don't I guess? Id love being home every day if I could be more active pre back issues. But I get really bored a lot of days and I do go out Sundays to movies (if my pain isn't bad) w DH and to Dr appts but Id rather work!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Something I always liked about my job was that every day was different & every patient's needs unique. One thing I dislike about being retired is that week in & week out are all the same. I enjoy my volunteer job but it is the same every day I go there. I enjoy my sewing club but it too is always the same.Even this board is pretty much always the same. 

I need to find a challenge!

Respected Contributor

Ah retirement...the best job I never had! Smiley Wink

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

LOL......love this list. I fall into the camp of "How did I ever have the time to work?" I just passed my 2 year retirement anniversary and am loving every minute of it. We've started to travel more often and I've started learning and participating in activities I never was able to make time for. I've gotten back to beadwork, learning to play mah jong, painting, yoga, tai chi, etc. etc. 

I take continuing education classes in Nursing online and at the local Nursing schools to maintain my license and keep up with the latest information. I never plan to use my license again but I worked too hard for it and to maintain it  to let it go. I take classes in many other diciplines and attend political and current event discussion groups.

Most importantly of all. I'm having FUN!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

There was this wonderful guy that I knew who worked at one of our local hardware stores. Started working there part time about 10 years ago when he had already begun collecting social security. He had this pleasant vibe and was alert and quick and everyone really liked him, no loved him. I would go in there to get keys made or buy some household item and would shout out to my friend Dan and ask him how he was today. He told me when his ex wife passed away, told me when a colleague died and told me all about his 2 sons who came to visit him a couple times a month despite living in another state but kept in touch a few times a week by phone. He asked me once to explain how to use his remote for his tv service. I had the same service and same remote and went home that afternoon to write him a very easy to understand user manual. He loved it and told me he kept it by his side while watching tv. He could now record his favorite programs with ease like an old pro. 

I went into that store the other day and my friend Dan wasn't there. I was told that he was asked to transfer to another store and he didn't want to, much too far to drive, so he quit,  just up and quit and I never saw him again.  Could not conceal my disappointment in not having the chance to say goodbye. The new man they hired was also very nice and a much younger man in his forties.

One of his sons found him unresponsive after not answering his phone calls. My friend Dan had became bored and depressed and passed away quite suddenly. I feel having a purpose keeps us alive for a little bit longer, may he rest in peace. Gone too soon!

What a lovely, but sad, story!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why Do We Like Retirement?  What's NOT to like? ROFLOL

We're only going on vacation for 2-3 days this year, when every day is already vacation, it seems funny to go out of town for one.  It breaks up the everyday here I guess, and there's nothing here to complain about, or that we need a break from.  It's so funny, we're just going from our vacation here, to another place. LOL I like the car ride.

Trusted Contributor

I am in my very FIRST day of retirement!  So far,so good...Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

I am in my very FIRST day of retirement!  So far,so good...Smiley Happy

Congratulations, @buyornot.  

For me, there was a learning curve but most seem to acclimate and enjoy it right away.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)