Honored Contributor

You GIFTED the ticket to her....GAVE it to her...HANDED it to her.... It was her ticket and her prize.  Now, if you had held on to the tickets...and you were in possession of the winning ticket stub or whatever......then you would be the prize winner.

Respected Contributor

Re: Whose prize was it?

[ Edited ]

Well, the neighbor was holding the ticket stub.  However, it would have been gracious of them to tell you the prize was yours since you got into the game.

Super Contributor

Legally, yes it belongs to the neighbor.  Ethically, well I would say had I been the neighbor I would have at least asked if you wanted it and gladly let you have it.

Honored Contributor

The  neighbor should have insisted the prize was yours because morally it was. You didn't  give the tickets to the neighbors as a gift, you merely ask them along. The tickets were still yours.

Suppose you invited them along to a craft show where tickets for a door prize were handed out at the door and their ticket was drawn. That prize would belong to them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

If I was the neighbor, I could never have taken it, never even have assumed it was mine to claim. 

Does this mean if you gave someone a ticket and they won something as a result of having that ticket the prize is actually yours and not theirs?

If someone gave you a lottery ticket and it was a big winner would you feel the winnings belonged to whomever gave you the winning ticket and not you?

@Marp

Would you have taken the frig?

@Noel7, it would depend.  I would say the refrigerator was mine but if my neighbor that gave me the winning ticket indicated disappointment or I knew s/he needed a new refrigerator more than me I would insist they take it.

Now will you answer my questions?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The  neighbor should have insisted the prize was yours because morally it was. You didn't  give the tickets to the neighbors as a gift, you merely ask them along. The tickets were still yours.

Suppose you invited them along to a craft show where tickets for a door prize were handed out at the door and their ticket was drawn. That prize would belong to them.

@occasionalrain

Apparently, given enough time, I would agree with you about something. And that is exactly the word I used with this situation when I mentioned it to DH. I see it as a moral issue and as I said, I would never have assumed it was mine or claimed it as mine.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

If I was the neighbor, I could never have taken it, never even have assumed it was mine to claim. 

Does this mean if you gave someone a ticket and they won something as a result of having that ticket the prize is actually yours and not theirs?

If someone gave you a lottery ticket and it was a big winner would you feel the winnings belonged to whomever gave you the winning ticket and not you?

@Marp

Would you have taken the frig?

@Noel7, it would depend.  I would say the refrigerator was mine but if my neighbor that gave me the winning ticket indicated disappointment or I knew s/he needed a new refrigerator more than me I would insist they take it.

Now will you answer my questions?

@Marp

I made it clear where I came from.  I couldn't take it, apparently you could.

And no, I am not going off into different scenarios.

Honored Contributor

I believe the ethical, polite thing would have been for them to offer the fridge to you since you gave them the ticket. However, the polite thing for you to do would be to decline their offer.

Respected Contributor

I would not have told my mother about it if I realized it would upset her, that's for sure!  She really wasn't like that.

We really could have used that refrigerator.  They were my parents age, and were way better off than my husband and I.  They gave it to their daughter.

As I thought it over, the tickets were mine, and hers was random, not even matching the seat.  But she NEVER gave a thought to it being other than hers, EVER.  Legally, I have no clue.

I think they should have OFFERED me the prize since they were my tickets. They were actually season tickets of my Dad's.  I would have turned it down because she did hold the ticket.  If they were insistent, I probably would have accepted.  But they never wavered from it going to their daughter.  And I never said a word to them about it.  They told me a couple weeks later their daughter had gotten it.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I would not have told my mother about it if I realized it would upset her, that's for sure!  She really wasn't like that.

We really could have used that refrigerator.  They were my parents age, and were way better off than my husband and I.  They gave it to their daughter.

As I thought it over, the tickets were mine, and hers was random, not even matching the seat.  But she NEVER gave a thought to it being other than hers, EVER.  Legally, I have no clue.

I think they should have OFFERED me the prize since they were my tickets. They were actually season tickets of my Dad's.  I would have turned it down because she did hold the ticket.  If they were insistent, I probably would have accepted.  But they never wavered from it going to their daughter.  And I never said a word to them about it.  They told me a couple weeks later their daughter had gotten it.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

Going by your scenario, the refrigerator really belonged to your mother because she was the original "giver."

Correctly speaking, once you give someone a gift, your ownership is over.  It was their refrigerator to keep.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow