Respected Contributor

This is something that happened some years ago, so it is unimportant to today.  I am posting because someone else brought it up!  Thought I'd throw it out there for a bigger diversity of opinion!

Some years ago, my parents gave me 4 tickets to a Chicago White Sox game.  My husband and I decided to ask our neighbors if they wanted to go.  They were the age of my parents.  They were happy to go.

When we arrived, I pulled the 4 tickets out to give each one of us a ticket to get in.  We just randomly sat down when we arrived at the seats.

This game turned out to be "Fan Appreciation Day."  This is once a year where there are big prizes given away.  At one point, they gave out a ticket number that won a refrigerator.  My neighbor was holding that ticket.  She excitedly proclaimed she would give her prize to her daughter.

When my mother asked me how we enjoyed the game, I told her about the prize.  She was LIVID that they considered it THEIR prize.  She felt it was my prize as they were my tickets.  Now, my mother was the kindest soul ever, and her anger really shocked me.

I never said anything to my neighbors about this.  I wasn't quite sure after my mother said that what was right!

What is anyone's opinion as to whose prize it was?

Hyacinth

QVC Customer Care
Esteemed Contributor

That is a hard call.

Honored Contributor

Yes, seriously. I think its an interesting question.

If you don't want to answer, why bother to say anything?

Ok, I'm sorry but we really need to stop being snarky around here! Okay posters?! Jeez!

If I was that neighbor, I would feel embarrased to automatically claim that prize, because yes, you did supply the tickets.

If she said oh this goes to you for sure, then you would have a chance to say omg-yea! or, no, htats okay, you take it  if you wanted to only! Like if you already had a new refrigerator.

No I would never assume it was my prize esp since you all ranomly took seats.

So thats my serious authentic answer, for real!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

The four tickets were a gift to you.  You gifted two to your neighbors making the tickets theirs.  Therefore refrigerator is theirs as it was their ticket that won.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I believe when you gave them the ticket you relinquish ownership of ticket. Now if they offered the prize to you, that would be a kind gesture on their part, the same way it was a kind gesture on your part to offer them the ticket. 

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

This is something that happened some years ago, so it is unimportant to today.  I am posting because someone else brought it up!  Thought I'd throw it out there for a bigger diversity of opinion!

Some years ago, my parents gave me 4 tickets to a Chicago White Sox game.  My husband and I decided to ask our neighbors if they wanted to go.  They were the age of my parents.  They were happy to go.

When we arrived, I pulled the 4 tickets out to give each one of us a ticket to get in.  We just randomly sat down when we arrived at the seats.

This game turned out to be "Fan Appreciation Day."  This is once a year where there are big prizes given away.  At one point, they gave out a ticket number that won a refrigerator.  My neighbor was holding that ticket.  She excitedly proclaimed she would give her prize to her daughter.

When my mother asked me how we enjoyed the game, I told her about the prize.  She was LIVID that they considered it THEIR prize.  She felt it was my prize as they were my tickets.  Now, my mother was the kindest soul ever, and her anger really shocked me.

I never said anything to my neighbors about this.  I wasn't quite sure after my mother said that what was right!

What is anyone's opinion as to whose prize it was?

Hyacinth

It's the neighbor's prize because it was her ticket.  If you buy someone a lottery ticket for their birthday and then end up winning $100, it's not YOUR prize money - it's theirs.

Honored Contributor

If I had been your neighbor, I would have said it belongs to you, and If I were you I would decline and say your ticket, your prize. And yes , it's a good question.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

The lesson to be learned, imo, would be , from then on to ask, "Would you like to come with us as our guests?"

IMO, the prize was yours, but I could be convinced otherwise if I knew the law behind it, and I'll bet there is one.

Respected Contributor

The tickwt holder.