Respected Contributor

Re: Who is your trusted network for news?

None of them.

Respected Contributor

There is so much drivel and they are all biased.  

Valued Contributor

I'm in a quandry.

I used to watch MSN, but since they reinstated lying Brian Williams I feel their credability is shot.  So I only watch Rachel Maddow and get the news from CNN.

Frequent Contributor

I watch CNN.  On occasion, I will tune into MSNBC, depending on the program / anchor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't "trust" any of the networks - broadcast or cable.  

Super Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's a dangerous practice to trust a single news source (or a group of sources all of which are associated with each other -- please, be sure to check and see who owns/manages a news source to be aware of all the affiliations), because we run the risk of hearing one biased perspective and, thus, misinformed or uninformed.  

I just posted this on Facebook this past week, and I believe it to be true and important:   "If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions."

I agree.  You need to follow the money.  Those who are financially invested in "the news" also have the ability to have the news presented in a way they benefit. 

We must do our homework...AND VOTE!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovinglife wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's a dangerous practice to trust a single news source (or a group of sources all of which are associated with each other -- please, be sure to check and see who owns/manages a news source to be aware of all the affiliations), because we run the risk of hearing one biased perspective and, thus, misinformed or uninformed.  

I just posted this on Facebook this past week, and I believe it to be true and important:   "If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions."

I agree.  You need to follow the money.  Those who are financially invested in "the news" also have the ability to have the news presented in a way they benefit. 

We must do our homework...AND VOTE!

********* Hi, dooBdoo.  I mean this as friendly....not a challenge.

I would not say that I resist reading what I disagree with because I would have to read it to know I disagreed with it in the first place!  To me, the things most worth reading don't challenge my convictions because a conviction is something you are already convinced of.  It may challenge a thought or idea. It may give me something different to think about or ponder.  I personally only know one source that I trust completely....no one man should ever be trusted completely....I agree with that as applied to news sources, reporters, etc. so in that sense..... .I agree with you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm all for hearing different POVs and, fortunately, some of them offer that quite a bit.     I see differeing POVs every time I tune into a source that I will watch or read.   That's always a good thing.  Grown ups having grown up conversations and debates is a good thing.    But...

The one I mentioned that i don't watch (I tried!) - it isn't even about a particular POV.  Clearly, they are the most biased, because they are expected to be, but when they went wide with the whole 'fair and balanced' thing I gave it a go.  

What I found was that whenever they would have a guest with a different POV, than the one they are expected to maintain, they would yell over the guest relentlessly and if the guest continued to try and answer the question and/or express their POV, they would end up with their mic cut.  It was just a bunch of screaming and demeaning until the person was cut off completely.   Plus, it's just so extreme and don't even get me started on the lack of actual facts.

That kind of negated the whole concept that they professed to be pushing, in terms of hearing all POVs equally.  

Respected Contributor

My next-door neighbor

Honored Contributor

I watch all 3 major networks. 

I grow tired of the replays on cable.  I watch 2 of the 3 major cable news networks.