Honored Contributor

Re: Who is a Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn?

[ Edited ]

@Oznell@SahmIam@maestra@pattypeep@MickD

DD is a "clear spring" and just found our PT that she looks great in yellow.  This color of red is good... she has gray eyes and brown hair.

I fall neatly into the category of cool summer. When I had my colors done... my "power color" was the violet shown. Most people cannot wear this color and don't like it.  DD (who is supposed to be just like her mom!!) cannot stand to wear purple. (That fits)

IMG_6451.JPG

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell@SahmIam@maestra@pattypeep@MickD

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

See-- skin "grey-beige" well, yeah -- "they don't make that one here.  The lightest skin tone one above that is pink-toned beige... yep that one is difficult too.

Even though both charts call for khaki, they can't be suggesting that one for me!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Fascinating how your and your daughter fit into the spectrum, lovestoteach.  Both fairly light I think, but she a bit warmer and you a bit cooler.  It's fun to see how people within families vary-- sometimes just a bit, sometimes widely.

My mother had true jet black hair, pale petal pink skin, and hazel eyes.  She looked great in red, black, typical Winter colors. She could wear one or two pastels, but they had to be icy, like ice blue.

My Dad I think was summer like me-- we both had identical light light brown hair, one shade darker than blond.  He was a Summer, but a tinge warmer b/c his eyes were a greenish gray/hazel rather than gray, and he had a perpetual tan that made his skin look warmer. Probably one of those summers verging into spring.  Powder blue was his color and my favorite gift to him was a powder blue sweater...

Honored Contributor

Hey, thanks for the graphics, lovestoteach!  Love it.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Wasn't this "season" thing the premise of Color Me Beautiful?  Is that still around?  Did people use to have Color Me Beautiful parties?  I do remember those parties but never attended.

Quite honestly, I don't want this to sound rude but I don't really care what season I am.  I know what colors look best on me and work for me and I know what causes me to look sickly or drained or just blah. 

I "had my colors done" when it was all the rage in the 70s, but it wasn't by season, i.e. not Color Me Beautiful, it was a system (can't find it in a google search) that combined the basic elements of CMB "seasons" with "degree", i.e. pale, medium intensity colors, or strong colors.

I didn't care what it was called either, and still don't, but although I think we all have an inborn clue about what colors look *bad* on us, we don't always know the colors that look best on us. It validated what I'd always thought but hadn't known the reason why, and it taught me to understand the whys & wherefors.

People believe it's a "I can never wear that color" and an "I must only wear these colors" thing, but it isn't. It's about color and most important, shade and tone.

To this day I have no clue what "season" I am, but know I look best in medium intensity cool and jewel tones, as opposed to the orange, yellow, chocolate and olive my mother always tried to dress me in (her colors).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I just remembered years ago in the early 80's a machine at the makeup counter in Bloomingdale's that determined women's seasons. You put your wrist into the machine and you were color typed. I was typed a Summer and my mom who had dark brown hair, olive tone complexion was typed a Winter. We then bought makeup based on our season. Just remembered that....my mom and I had so much fun shopping together. She's gone now so thanks for this thread and the wonderful memory...Heart

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 Go outside, put your arm out, palm up, and put a piece of white paper next to your inner forearm. If your arm shows a yellowish cast, you are a "warm" , if it shows a "pinkish" cast you are a cool.

Ok I can try that-will feel weird doing so but wouldn't be the first time I looked like a weirdoSmiley Very Happy 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Regular Contributor

I'm a classic winter.  Jewel tones all the way.  I look terrible in pastels.

Honored Contributor

I'm supposed to be a Cool Winter (jewel tones), which I like and look well in.........but I also look pretty good wearing pastels such as pastel yellow, pink, blue, etc.  Not so good (drab) in browns and charcoal grey.  So I'm a mixture! 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

If you love a color, wear it. Women are given so many rules to improve their appearance. Can you imagine a man discussing his colors? Be brave, kind and free.