Honored Contributor

Whispers about school

[ Edited ]

I currently work from  home. Obviously our university has been closed down for the rest of Spring semester.  Now there is talk....well not so far as our school, but general academic talk that schools won't reopen in person classes for fall semester and not until 2021.   I've head nothing from our school.  They text us with any announcements. CNN has an article about schools (universities) not reopening as in person schools.  Here  I had hope it would reopen for summer session.

The only school that has announced no in person summer session & and a possible fall is Boston University.   But it's still early days.  The Spring semester ends on May 12.  Anyway, now I'm thinking it's unrealistic to open up in the summer as in person school..

I have no idea what will happen with public primary & secondary schools.  It may be public schools will open in a stagger shift kind of way.  In California, schools are open all year.  With different semester shifts for groups of children.  The warm weather permits this.  And most public schools have central air.  Something will have to be done either way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird 

Hmm...I was suspecting that for fall classes. We haven't gotten word to that effect, though. But my summer session was already slated for on-line.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@songbird 

Hmm...I was suspecting that for fall classes. We haven't gotten word to that effect, though. But my summer session was already slated for on-line.

I think it's still online for summer.  They had offered online for summer before, but many students didn't take it.  The shorter course in the summer is difficult. More intense.  But you get through school faster....This is going to be tough for students slated to graduate in May.  Especially with no lab work. The will have to scrounge around to finish their credits.  I once tried a summer course.  It lasted two days.  My teacher thought it would be wiser for me not to stay.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what's going to happen.  

My daughter's college graduation has been postponed, and she's supposed to start grad school in August.  A lot of uncertainty right now...

Respected Contributor

I think we all need to remember that just because someone says it, it not necessarily true. Most of this is conjecture and worst case scenario. Close schools for another entire year?  How can anyone project that far in advance.

This is partially why people are so upset and stressed. They hear this doom and somehow it becomes real.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whispers about school

[ Edited ]

I think it would be a disservice to college students to let them enroll for Fall Semester telling them all is well, knowing in advance it would likely be virtual or canceled all together. Typically, students register for Fall before they head home for the summer. 

I cant imagine cramming kids into dorm rooms/residence halls any time in the near future.

Bravo to Boston College for announcing their plans and being transparent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I think it would be a disservice to college students to let them enroll for Fall Semester telling them all is well, knowing in advance it would likely be virtual or canceled all together. Typically, students register for Fall before they head home for the summer. 

I cant imagine cramming kids into dorm rooms/residence halls any time in the near future.

Bravo to Boston College for announcing their plans and being transparent.

Actually it's Boston University which is a so  called private second tier ivy league school.  Boston College is a private college independent of Boston University.  Both are very expensive and difficult to get in to.  And lol....only 3 miles apart.

Respected Contributor

The public uni I graduated from, in OH, has 4 summer class sessions.  They've already moved 3 of them (scheduled to begin in May and June) online, but they have not yet made a decision about the fourth (scheduled to begin mid-July).

Respected Contributor

The 2 stories circulating in my area (public school/daughter in 8th grade) are:

1. Starting the 2020-2021 school year early

2. Holding back kids/not promoting to next grade.

This has been on the local TV news.  The botton line they say is that they're not leaving anything on the table.  No news if they'll even open for the 2020-2021 school year which is early August for us.  Too much unknown right now.  I can see parents being nervous about sending their kids to a new school year with all this uncertainty of the virus.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I teach in a public school.  In my district, they are making summer provisions for students to receive summer school if needed.  Unless a child was already considered for retention, all will move forward. 

The first part of the year (about 6 weeks) will be devoted to teaching the standards missed this last part of the year.  For example, I teach 1st grade so for the first 6 weeks, I will teach the final Kindergarten standards to my students so we try and close the gaps.

We're still scheduled to start on time but our governor said it's too soon to know since our peak hasn't happened yet.

Spring graduations will happen this summer.

Not all decisions have been made but at least this plan is a start.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!