Valued Contributor

Re: Which Oscar Nominated Movies Have You Seen? Your Opinion of Them?

CardinalGirl, what did you think of Nebraska?

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 MomOf4 said:

A movie about my state? Never heard of it. I did however hear "Omaha" said in the Super Bowl several times by whatever Manning was the QB of the team.

How's about that. Omaha in the Super Bowl and a movie titled Nebraska. I just ain't into movies unless they are something in which I am very, very, very passionate about. And even those have to have Dolby Digital Surround Sound or I more than likely will not watch/rent them or buy a Blu-ray of any of them. Sound is as important to me as the subject content of any movie. Sound that is not at least in DD 5.1 Surround? I won't give it even a thought.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 hckynut said:
On 3/2/2014 MomOf4 said:

A movie about my state? Never heard of it. I did however hear "Omaha" said in the Super Bowl several times by whatever Manning was the QB of the team.

How's about that. Omaha in the Super Bowl and a movie titled Nebraska. I just ain't into movies unless they are something in which I am very, very, very passionate about. And even those have to have Dolby Digital Surround Sound or I more than likely will not watch/rent them or buy a Blu-ray of any of them. Sound is as important to me as the subject content of any movie. Sound that is not at least in DD 5.1 Surround? I won't give it even a thought.

John - I think you would like Nebraska. It stars Bruce Dern. It's also in black and white...a journey movie with a father and a son.

I'm going to re-watch it today on pay per view.

Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2014 i like celery said:

I've seen: Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Philomena, Gravity, and American Hustle. I also saw Blue Jasmine, and All is Lost (Best Sound Editing :-) ). I really liked everything I saw, but my favorite is probably Nebraska. I know not many people liked Gravity, but I did. I think it was because I somehow could really put myself in the place of someone alone in space, and it was terrifying! I'm not sure I would have chosen it for a Best Picture nomination, but I liked it.

I missed seeing 12 Years a Slave, but really want to catch it On Demand or DVD.

I liked Nebraska too...I like everything by that director.

Super Contributor

I saw Gravity and although it held my interest it wasn't, in my opinion, Oscar worthy.

Super Contributor

Only saw American Hustle and enjoyed it. Go to the movies often but managed not to see any nominated ones. {#emotions_dlg.confused1} saw Monuments Men which had some good candidates for supporting acting roles, but it wasn't released in time for contention.

Regular Contributor

American Hustle. Not crazy about it. I did like the mayor. I didn't like the rest of the characters. Over hyped, jmo. I did enjoy the music as I was a teen during the 70's.

Gravity. It was good, worth seeing. Not really Oscar worthy imo.

Nebraska. It was good. Loved the son. Worth seeing def.

Blue Jasmine. My favorite of the 4. I really liked this movie a lot. I think Cate Blanchet was superb as a desperate narcissist.

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 terrier3 said:
On 3/1/2014 i like celery said:

I've seen: Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Philomena, Gravity, and American Hustle. I also saw Blue Jasmine, and All is Lost (Best Sound Editing :-) ). I really liked everything I saw, but my favorite is probably Nebraska. I know not many people liked Gravity, but I did. I think it was because I somehow could really put myself in the place of someone alone in space, and it was terrifying! I'm not sure I would have chosen it for a Best Picture nomination, but I liked it.

I missed seeing 12 Years a Slave, but really want to catch it On Demand or DVD.

I liked Nebraska too...I like everything by that director.

I do too. Sideways is one of my favorite movies of all times.

I've seen Gravity--good acting--just ok movie, American Hustle, good ensemble, but the movie was average, loved DBC--wonderful acting, August Osage--ok movie, stellar acting on the part of everyone, Her--very good-bit odd , Loved Nebraska loved Blue Jasmine and loved Philomena

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

Gravity - Exhausting

August: Osage County - Dreary, too long and another vehicle for Meryl Streep's overacting.

Captain Phillips - Loved!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/2/2014 MomOf4 said:

I really enjoyed it and thought Bruce Dern was just incredible in the role. I disagree with the nomination of June Squibb (who played his wife) for Best Supporting Actress. She sounded to me like she was just reading her lines throughout the movie. My husband and I both commented on it when we saw the movie. I'm scratching my head over that nomination.