Honored Contributor

Re: Where/how do you dry the clothes you do not put in the dryer?

wrote:

I have several of those wooden racks that I have had for a very long time.  I know that the Q sells a really  nice one (aluminum, I think) that I had planned to buy, but my wooden ones work great.  

I use the folding wooden rack that my mother used at least 50 years ago.  It still serves the purpose.

Honored Contributor

AIr dry in the dryer. I used to use wooden racks, block things on special boards on my dining room table, hang outside, etc. Now? Throw them in the dryer on air. What shocks me is they come out just fine, lol. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Most of my clothes I hang to dry.   I have a rolling rack in my laundry room that I use.    After the clothes are dry, they go right into the closet.    

I have a lot of sports clothes that I don’t put in the dryer.   Everything else gets dried for a few minutes and then hung to dry.    

Nothing ruins clothes faster than the dryer IMO

Trusted Contributor

I have a retractable close line in my laundry room....I just use that to hang things on...when not in use you don't see it...got it years ago at the hardware store....DW

Honored Contributor

QVC recently featured a nice drying rack.  Stainless steel instead of wood (which can mold/mildew after a few years).  It was fold-up.   I have a couple of old wood drying racks.  It's about time that I find a new one.  

As far as washing/drying, I often hand wash delicates and then put them in the 'Spin' cycle to spin dry for a few seconds.   Also, I wash some items in the Delicate cycle, then spin an extra spin cycle and hang or lay flat on my wooden rack(s) to dry (over a towel).   Then, after a day or so, I'll hang the items to finish drying.  I'm lucky that I have a SouthWest facing room/window where most things dry before the next day.  

P.S.  Using a large salad spinner (for delicates) (and only for clothing items, not lettuce) works well, too.  That's if and when I'm not in the mood to go down and back up stairs to and from my laundry room.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Get a drying rack that fits your bathtub.  Just be sure to measure your tub so you are sure the rack you buy fits in your tub.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my previous home, I bought a metal bar - with rubber ends - that fit high above my bathtub - wall to wall. At my present house, I purchased a metal rack that opens wide. Four items go on top -- and 2 items fit on the small shelf below it. I keep it in my garage. Check out Honey Can Do Heavy Duty Folding Gullwing Drying Rack. QVC has it for $40 + shipping. Walmart has it priced at $36.72. QVC's is a few inches larger. This one is similar to mine. I never put my clothes in the dryer - they get ruined or shrink. 

Respected Contributor

The only things that I put in a dryer are things like towels, sheets and blankets.  Everything else, I hang dry.  I have a couple of folding racks that I can put lots of hangers on, and theres a rack on the bottom of a long shelf that goes along my laundry room wall.

Honored Contributor

I got a metal drying rack from Amazon, similar to that shown below.  Not expensive, less than $25.  I like to put some delicates on it, sometimes a sweater on a towel across the top, etc.

AmazonBasics Foldable Drying Rack - Chrome

Trusted Contributor

Several years ago I bought a wooden drying rack from WalMart which fits in the bathtub and folds flat for under the bed storage when not in use.