Valued Contributor

Re: When you were a kid, how did your Mom curl your hair?

When I was younger than 5, we had a housekeeper that braided my hair, then put the braids on top like a crown. I don't know exactly how to explain it

Super Contributor

Spoolies

Pink foam rubber thingies for the ""flip"" look

Then long straight hair took off in the 60's so it became ironing your hair. lol

That contraption I think was in the 20's and 30's.

Valued Contributor

The braids were stacked on top of each other. like double.

Honored Contributor

Cakes, I remember that in early fifties.. it must go back a long way...
Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Sylvia, bet that was so pretty on you.. very neat and royal...
Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

pin curls and when my hair was longer, brown 3/4" rubber rollers with a loop thing to hold it on.

Valued Contributor

thank you. i was very little. When I went to a different home, that;s when I got home perms {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

Peachysue- I bet ""the contraption"" spanned a number of years. I added to my post above. I was never exposed to beauty salons so wouldn't have seen it regardless of when it was used.

Yowza!

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Peachysue said: Cakes, I remember that in early fifties.. it must go back a long way...

Peachysue: I think you are right now that I think of it, that it was still around in the early fifties. I remember seeing it in some old movies from earlier decades, so it probably did go back before then. lol

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Funloving said:
On 9/10/2014 LaterGator said:

My Mom used bobby pins. She used to put her finger on my scalp, then take a section of my hair and wrap it around her finger, push it to my scalp and secure it with the bobby pin. Or, she would use these pink, rubber thingies that looked like a dumbbell which she rolled a strand of my hair around and when it got to the bottom, she push the two ends together and they looked like little flying saucers.

Yesterday, I was watching some youtube clips on how to curl thin hair with no volume. The way the girls on the clips did it were so similar to using those pink, rubbery things. I wish I could find them now. I don't even know if they are still made.

I was wondering if anyone would know where to find them? Also, how did your Mom curl your hair when you were little?

I had naturally curly hair too. But the night before a special event if my hair was clean and dry she do a "spit curl" method just as you explained by wrapping sections around her finger and securing with a bobby pin. She'd wet her fingers under the faucet vs. saliva. Smile Fond memories.

I always got the vinegar rinse after washing my hair in the kitchen sink. I can still smell that vinegar. No wonder no one wanted to sit next to me!

LG- I'm pretty sure Sally's Beauty Supply has the pink foam curlers.. if that's what you're referring to. You could check online first.

Funloving, Thanks, but I'm not looking for the foam ones. The rollers I'm talking about were rubber.