Honored Contributor

Re: When you were a kid, how did your Mom curl your hair?

On 9/10/2014 Funloving said:

Peachysue- I bet "the contraption" spanned a number of years. I added to my post above. I was never exposed to beauty salons so wouldn't have seen it regardless of when it was used.

Yowza!

Wow, that's great your mom did your hair at home & you had the ability to do yours & others. I'd go with Momma and my hair would be trimed, sister's too. It is a contraption for sure..

Cakers, funny how far we've come from that to now.. wonder how many are just sitting somewhere gathering dust? So funny looking back at this stuff..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Pqfan said:
On 9/10/2014 Peachysue said:

This isn't me but how well I remember one of these contraptions in the beauty shop Mom went too.. looked like a robot or something...

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

I remember these things too for perms. I was never treated to one but boy, they look strange now. We lived in a small farming community in Ohio at the time and I really think they still used these in the early 50's.

Frequent Contributor

I was born in '36 and a lot of Mothers wanted their girls to look like Shirley Temple. I don't know how she achieved it but I have pictures of ""the look"". I also got permanents like the one shown here. It smelled like my hair was burning !

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Peachysue said:
On 9/10/2014 Funloving said:

Peachysue- I bet "the contraption" spanned a number of years. I added to my post above. I was never exposed to beauty salons so wouldn't have seen it regardless of when it was used.

Yowza!

Wow, that's great your mom did your hair at home & you had the ability to do yours & others. I'd go with Momma and my hair would be trimed, sister's too. It is a contraption for sure..

Cakers, funny how far we've come from that to now.. wonder how many are just sitting somewhere gathering dust? So funny looking back at this stuff..

Peachysue: I also remember home hair dryers like the hairdresser had then they came out with the ones that had an adjustable cap with a hose attached to the dryer unit. lol

I remember we had a Sunbeam hair dryer like that.

Valued Contributor

I had a Toni doll. She came with everything to give her a perm: tissue papers, curlers, and some kind of solution. Did any of you have her?

Super Contributor

Cakers, we had one of those dryers too. My mom's was tourquoise.

Stargazer your hair probably was burning!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Pqfan said:

Pink foam rollers.

Pink foam rollers for me too but my mother used bobbie pins!!! As I got older we used those painful brush rollers!!! OUCH!

Respected Contributor

My mother did the pin curl thing on me.

I was ""treated"" to a perm in a salon when I was about three. It was the late forties. The gizmo (in the pic) was terrifying. I remember the smells and the ""electrical smell"" ---I think i screamed the whole time. I never had one again.

Respected Contributor

LatorGator- I'm trying to visualize what you're talking about. The only rubber type that comes to mind are like the rollers/curlers they use for perms. Sorry to be of no help...{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

You guys who got to see the contraption were worldly buggers.... while I led a sheltered life.. far, far away from the pain of beauty. lol

Seriously, I never hit the salon scene until I was around 20. Now I'm totally dependent on them for color and cuts. I wouldn't even attempt a go at bangs. At least I saved my parents some $$, And boy have I overcompensated for it since! haha

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 LaterGator said:

Cakers, we had one of those dryers too. My mom's was tourquoise.

Stargazer your hair probably was burning!

LG: So was ours!!!