Respected Contributor

Re: When to reveal your finances when dating.

@missy1 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@LilyLu wrote:
He has share his financial information. He has very little and a young daughter from a previous relationship to support for many more years. I think he knows my daughter is much more financially secure. I think he expects because he has shared his information my daughter should as well.

As "lovely" as he might be, this is a very big deal and I would have to think twice about such a relationship....   but that's me.

I was just going to write this, but I figured I would get pounced on.  When I was younger, not going to marry someone with kids. 

I won't pounce on anyone, but I'm glad I ignored my friend who told me that 28 years ago :-) 

Trusted Contributor

how long has she known this man? I'd be pretty uncomfortable and suspicious if a man I'm dating keeps asking about my finances. its obviously more important to him than just a passing question. it's my money and my business. if he was financially secure himself, I don't think this would be an "issue". so maybe that's something that needs to be brought out in the open before this relationship goes any further. she should come right out and ask him why he needs to know. 

Honored Contributor

All I'd reveal is whether or not I had debt, and even then I wouldn't be real specific with the numbers.

Respected Contributor

It is important because it affects your livelihood as well!

If he takes her for a ride you lose too.

Am I right that if they married his debt and child support becomes her's as well?

This is very concerning and the fact that he keeps asking is a huge red flag.

Love doesn't pay the bills.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Since they are planning a future together, hire a private detective to do a background/financial check.

Dating = None of your d@mn business when it comes to knowing ones finances.

Mom, You, the family should do a background check on this man. Love is Love, and money is money, and the line between them is very thin.

Respected Contributor

A man with a young daughter + very little $ + overly eager for your $ = see ya!

You raised her to think more highly of herself, didn't you?

Esteemed Contributor

Pre  nup! Your daughter needs to protect herself. And you as well since you're co owners of a business. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Melania wrote:

It is important because it affects your livelihood as well!

If he takes her for a ride you lose too.

Am I right that if they married his debt and child support becomes her's as well?

This is very concerning and the fact that he keeps asking is a huge red flag.

Love doesn't pay the bills.

This depends on the State.  But if he was married prior with child support, the amount child receives is based on her income as well (combined income).

In many states what you bring into the marriage is yours alone.  Just don't file joint taxes together.

*Call Tyrone*
Contributor

Thank you all for your response. I have a lot of good thoughts from you all to pass onto her.
Respected Contributor

I am shocked at some of the responses. Just me, but I believe in being up front and honest from the get go.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.