Honored Contributor

Re: When do you know it's time to leave?

I usually stay about an hour after dinner.I start feeling bloated from being full and just sitting around so I feel time to go and even if it is early I think everyone is usually ready to get home and loosen their belt.

Honored Contributor

I'm not one to sit and sit and sit for hours on end............As soon as someone else decides to leave, then we follow them out, lol.  In general, leaving about an hour or so after dessert feels right, to me, anyway.  Most of the fairly interesting conversations have taken place before then. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

When they tell me to please put the cat out and make sure that I lock the door behind me because they're going to bed.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

When they tell me to please put the cat out and make sure that I lock the door behind me because they're going to bed.

So, they've already put their pj's on and now it's come to this?  LOL!11

Respected Contributor

When my husband's brother starts talking politics, I head for the car. 

Respected Contributor

With relatives, I know who prefers what. The trickier thing is knowing when to keave an acquaintance's gathering or, worse, knowing how to get someone to leave when we have people over. Funny story: We give large cocktail parties, and one time it was very late, and as the stragglers left, we locked the front door and we were getting ready for bed when we heard voices. It was 2 a.m.  Uh-oh. At the other end of the house, hidden away in our second-floor sitting room, two friends were still deep in conversation! We almost went to bed with people still in the house. We all laughed, and they left immediately. 

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

When my husband's brother starts talking politics, I head for the car. 

There is one in every family, right ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well.... I don't eat and run and I'm not the last to leave.  It's funny, I have a function coming up next month and my sister and I aren't really 'feeling it' so we've been discussing time frames for our departure.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

It really depends. Every family is different and have different comfort levels at being with others. My family is pretty close so there have been times where one of us or even more than one of us hasn't left at all and slept over. lol! 

I think when the conversation starts to get slow that would be an indicator to say your thank yous and good byes. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

I no longer live near extended family, but when we all lived in the same city it was completely different from what all the others answered.  We would have dinner, dessert and coffee, and then start playing either card or board games. Sometimes we would still be playing at 3 or 4am, then we would have coffee, sandwiches and a light dessert.  I miss that. Now my adult children come over and we tend to do the same sort of thing, but a smaller gathering as they are not married and have no children. .

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen