Respected Contributor

Re: When You Are Old Enough...

One boyfriend had a silver Chevelle (loud) and a white Camaro. That Z28 on the stamp is familiar. Another boyfriend had a Mustang.

My brother had a copper color Plymouth Road Runner, my oldest sibling had a Corvair that had a lot of problems.

My dad drove me to junior high school in his Riviera every morning, and my mom drove an Olds 98.

My husband had a restored 1964 red split-window Corvette (a terrible bumpy ride - before cars had much better shocks) and a convertible Mercury Cougar. After we married, our 1st car together was a Cutlass.

Wow, cars have so many memories attached to them. And now they're vintage and so are we LOL.

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily   Yes, so many memories tied up in cars.  My boyfriend was only allowed to drive so many miles in the Camaro on any given day.  He really applied himself though and figured out how to disconnect the odometer. Smiley Happy

I remember there were times we would hit the gas station and get .50 worth of gas.

Oh, how I would like to go back to that time for a day and know then what I know now.

I agree...the cars and us are all vintage now.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition and @bmorechick - My mom WON a Road Runner at a Volunteer Fireman's carnival! 

She worked with someone selling tickets. She ran into him in the hallway and told him to leave them on her desk and she would give him the money later. She paid him and forgot about the tickets. 

I came in around 11 a few nights later. Our phone rang and the person asked for my mom. I could barely hear over the commotion. I called her and my dad down. My dad got the dealer's information and said we would come by after church the next day. He also didn't believe it.

So we drove up after church. It wasn't fake, and I was so excited! It was fully loaded, green (I think), with the Road Runner painted on the side and the "beep-beep" horn! We drove it home. I couldn't wait to drive it. I had my permit at the time.

A few hours later my dad got a phone call from the dealer. We went back up. I remember hearing the dealer saying something like, "Of course you don't want THIS car - Haha. Let's see if we can get you a better option." Meanwhile I was thinking "No, there is no better option. "I " do want this car!"  

But I didn't live in a democracy. What my dad said was the final decision. We drove home in a fully loaded blue Chrysler sedan with leather seats. So disappointing! My parents had that car forever. But I had a hard time saying goodbye to the Road Runner. Just a few more years and I might have been able to convince my dad to keep it!   Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

My first fully owned car was my '50 Mercury Coupe. Too busy working night shifts, Fridays and Saturdays at Drive-in restaurant, to have a girlfriend. But, at 16, I was more interested in cars than girls anyways. My car was easier to get along with for me.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My first serious boyfriend had a purple Pontiac GTO convertible.He was a Viet Nam vet just home. Not sure the year of the car, but we met in early 1970.

Respected Contributor

I bought the Pony stamps last month!

I have owned 5 muscle cars over the years and enjoyed every moment.

I have probably been in every muscle car you could imagine since the 60s to 70s. Even a few from the 30s & 40s. Guys back then loved their cars and I loved riding in them. I finally decided I needed my own muscle cars. 

Respected Contributor

A nearly 20 year old VW bug with no heater!

Esteemed Contributor

My first real boyfriend had a 1968 Mustang.  Thought I would marry him but oh well....  I loved that car and later in my 20's I had a 1972 Mustang.  I thought I looked pretty se*y in that vehicle until I was 6 months pregnant and couldn't get out of the bucket seat, LOL!   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First purchased car, after College,

1967 Plymouth Satellite Convertible, White Exterior, Red Leathr Interior

(when I finally sold it, it was the first time I'd ever seen "her" brake lights lit, & I cried 

Happy I had "her", & for so long.    Woman Happy

Sad, I had to let "her" go.  Woman Sad

(But sold it for even more than I originally bought it for!) Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

A 1948 Plymouth...