Honored Contributor

Sometimes I think I'll save some money and buy an off brand of a product instead of the better known brand. What usually happens the brand x product is inferior to the brand name, I end up throwing it out and purchasing the name brand too. I end up spending more money, I guess you get what you pay for. 

Trusted Contributor

Save your receipt and return it next time you go to the store.  Most stores have a liberal return policy if house brands aren't to your liking.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When Will I Learn

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

Sometimes I think I'll save some money and buy an off brand of a product instead of the better known brand. What usually happens the brand x product is inferior to the brand name, I end up throwing it out and purchasing the name brand too. I end up spending more money, I guess you get what you pay for.

@Jordan2  Most off Brand are made in the same factory as the named brand. It cost less because it is a store brand. Sometimes it works out and sometime it doesn't. As @CoffeeNut  suggested next time return the product and get your money back.

Also see if there are any reviews and if so, see if the off Brand is worth it.

Respected Contributor
I'm kind of the opposite. I've been trying some different bands lately, discover that they're perfectly fine, and think how I could have been saving money all these years.
Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:
I'm kind of the opposite. I've been trying some different bands lately, discover that they're perfectly fine, and think how I could have been saving money all these years.

@VanSleepy  you are  so right.

Esteemed Contributor

I have found that most off brands are ok.  But I will say there have been a few that I did have to throw out, they were that bad.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @Jordan2, many times I've done this.

Respected Contributor

Walmart and Wegman's no longer carry Martin's potato chips and I didn't want to pay $4.00 for Lays, so I tried Wegman's store brand and I think they are just as good or better than Lay's $2.70 for 20 oz. store brand compared to $4.00 for 13 oz. Lays.

Honored Contributor

Most times we find the store brand to be just as good as the national name brand.

In some instances we like the store brand better than the name brand.

We like the store brand of pork roll more than the original, the same for Shoprites Bowl & Basket coffee in the bag and Bowl & Basket Mayo.  The mayo was shocking after being die hard Hellmann's users all our lives. 

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2  Most off Brand are made in the same factory as the named brand. It cost less because it is a store brand. Sometimes it works out and sometime it doesn't. As @CoffeeNut  suggested next time return the product and get your money back.

Also see if there are any reviews and if so, see if the off Brand is worth it.

Not necessarily @Sage04 

We have at least 6 factories in our region that make store brands....NONE of them make the name brand.

A friend works at a factory that makes cookies among other things.  Some of what they make are choc sand cookies labelled Kroger, Stop & Shop, Wegmans and more.

They do NOT make Oreos though.

Wegman's ketchup is not made by Heinz, in fact, none of the Wegman's name brands are made by 'Name Brand' factories.