Trusted Contributor

When Is a Topic Too Old to Revive?

[ Edited ]

I started to post a new topic, and a pop-up showed similar topics from a few months ago. What is the accepted way to approach a topic again that has been discussed before?

Honored Contributor

Re: When Is a Topic Too Old to Revive?

FLgardener wrote:

I started to post a new topic, and a pop-up showed similar topics from a few months ago. What is the accepted way to approach a topic again that has been discussed before?

@FLgardener, What you see in the pop-up is a list of suggestions in case you want to choose one of those instead of creating a new thread.  The system is merely doing an automatic search on some of the keywords you're typing in.

But they're only suggestions -- you still have the option of continuing and creating your own, new thread.

hth!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@FLgardener wrote:

@FLgardener, What you see in the pop-up is a list of suggestions in case you want to choose one of those instead of creating a new thread.  The system is merely doing an automatic search on some of the keywords you're typing in.

But they're only suggestions -- you still have the option of continuing and creating your own, new thread.

hth!

And that would be a good or helpful feature and made more sense if the idiots who revamped this place would have carried over the threads from half of March, all of April and May and half of June of THIS YEAR. 

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the input. I realize I could have gone ahead and posted my own topic, but I was just wondering what the forum etiquette is regarding adding on to a revived topic vs. starting a new one. I have seen contempt here for threads being revived that were not all that old to me.

Honored Contributor

It's cool that they have that feature now.  I didn't know that, but I don't start threads so that's probably why.

I think the basic way to look at it is the purpose of bringing up an old thread.

If it's just somebody trolling and bringing up old threads like some petulent child it's one thing.  But if you want to add to another conversation already in progress, it's another thing. Smiley Happy  That's JMHO, FWIW.  YMMV of course.

Honored Contributor

chickenbutt wrote:

It's cool that they have that feature now.  I didn't know that, but I don't start threads so that's probably why.

I think the basic way to look at it is the purpose of bringing up an old thread.

If it's just somebody trolling and bringing up old threads like some petulent child it's one thing.  But if you want to add to another conversation already in progress, it's another thing. Smiley Happy  That's JMHO, FWIW.  YMMV of course.

I agree with this.  If we decide to post on an old thread, there always will be those who pop in just to ask why an old thread was revived as if we always have a nefarious reason. It does help to know some of the suspicion is due to a couple of trolls who would show up in the wee hours of the night/morning and maliciously bump up hundreds of old threads evidently to create confusion and upset.

If we start a new thread, there also will be a few negative or critical remarks no matter what the topic, so unfortunately we have to post here with a wee bit of tough skin and try to understand or ignore the "slings and arrows."

I don't start many threads, but I often will say something like "sorry if this has been discussed before."  If I respond to an old thread, I usually mention that I wanted to add something there instead of starting a new thread.  But, in general, just do what you feel comfortable with.

hth, @FLgardener!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

When it is a thread by "I Love Hummingbirds" when she was going through a divorce!! LOL I think a lot of posters remember her and her other nics. Actually I miss her.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Mama Mia wrote:

When it is a thread by "I Love Hummingbirds" when she was going through a divorce!! LOL I think a lot of posters remember her and her other nics. Actually I miss her.

mm

@Mama Mia, I saw her nic on several threads here in Community Chat and in a couple of other forums, too (maybe Beauty?).

Honored Contributor

When Is a Topic Too Old to Revive?

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's cool that they have that feature now.  I didn't know that, but I That's JMHO, FWIW.  YMMV of course.

chickenbutt, I luv ya.  I got JMHO, FWIW what is YMMV?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

When it is...

1) about SG and her hyper over the top talking over the hosts persona

2) about SK and her makeup/hair

3) about DV and his Happy Dance

4) about Patti Reilly

5) about Jayne and Pat azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz well

6) about how prices are getting too expensive for the quality

7) about how the prices increased when the S/H decreased