Honored Contributor

Re: When I was a Child......

@Mersha  Going OT to say "Hello" and mention that we will soon have Roland Garros to keep us entertained.  Hoping that Rafa can muster up enough tennis chops to earn another win on his beloved clay.  It is too long between the Austrailian Open and Roland Garros.  Enjoy your holiday weekend!  DEEP    

Honored Contributor

I distinctly remember around the age of 5 or 6, going to the local A&P and when my mom was checking out and not watching me, I would eat the coffee grounds left over in the Coffee Grinder at the register. I used to think they tasted like chocolate. To this day I love my coffee.....just don't eat the grounds. LOL

Super Contributor

one of my favorite things to do as a young girl was to design my own paper doll clothes...I think I am a frustrated designer (without any talent, I might add)

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal Do you remember the wax pop bottles filled with a little liquid also?

You mentioning the red wax lips brought back a funny memory for me, thanks for reminding me of it!

Respected Contributor

I was obsessed with mermaids and with being one. I used to swipe a green laundry bag that we had, step into it, and put a tie around my ankles to make the tail. Then I'd swipe a few of my mom's necklaces and pile them on around my neck... for the requisite sparkle that mermaids must have. I then put my Barbie doll in her gown and similarly put a tie around her ankles. I filled up the bathroom sink with water.... and there we played mermaid together, diving my Barbie doll into the water.

Super Contributor

I grew up on a farm that my father used to raise tobacco, corn and soybeans.  It was rather large and there was a long path that went between the farmland.  He had two large barns on either side of the path that they used to cure the tobacco.  In late summer, early fall the barns would be full of all the tobacco that had been cropped in the summer.  The smell of the tobacco was intoxicating.  Nothing like cigarette smoke, had a sweet smell to it.  I would come home from school and ride my bike down that path.  The weather would have started turning cool from fall, and you could feel the residual heat from the barns and that wonderful aroma.  I think of it and I am ten or eleven all over again Smiley Happy.  I would love to smell that one more time.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears, you bet your sweet bippy  remember those little pop bottles made of wax.  How about jaw breakers. Loved those. It's a wonder I had teeth left. lol

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I was obsessed with mermaids and with being one. I used to swipe a green laundry bag that we had, step into it, and put a tie around my ankles to make the tail. Then I'd swipe a few of my mom's necklaces and pile them on around my neck... for the requisite sparkle that mermaids must have. I then put my Barbie doll in her gown and similarly put a tie around her ankles. I filled up the bathroom sink with water.... and there we played mermaid together, diving my Barbie doll into the water.

Speaking of  Barbie Dolls, a little after my time, but how about Paper Dolls? Loved those.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal We used to buy Everlasting Gobstoppers, they were even harder to bite into then the jawbreakers, those were the good old days!

Let us not forget the candy necklaces & bracelets, sticky necks and wrists, but I had to have them!  My husband and I have a 4 1/2 year old in our lives, and we always put a candy necklace in her Easter basket, I hope one day she has fond memories of us being the goof balls that always bought them for her!

Respected Contributor

some days we played so hard outdoors,  we needed to take a quick smoke break!