Trusted Contributor

A friend of my Mother's has NOT made a house payment in several YEARS.  This woman's home is not worth as much as another woman I know - her home was foreclosed within months. Huge house with a lot of extras (3 acres, pool, long common dramatic driveway...).  She got sick, the Husband lost his job and the Family fell apart within 3 years.  

I volunteer at a food pantry/assistance $ center and there are a lot of families STILL in need of help.

However - the Clients have now 'settled' into a new normal and they are not as angry, embarrassed and/or sad.  Some days I would be crying with them.  

Honored Contributor

@Pie1993 wrote:

A friend of my Mother's has NOT made a house payment in several YEARS.  This woman's home is not worth as much as another woman I know - her home was foreclosed within months. Huge house with a lot of extras (3 acres, pool, long common dramatic driveway...).  She got sick, the Husband lost his job and the Family fell apart within 3 years.  

I volunteer at a food pantry/assistance $ center and there are a lot of families STILL in need of help.

However - the Clients have now 'settled' into a new normal and they are not as angry, embarrassed and/or sad.  Some days I would be crying with them.  

Did you mean to post this on a different thread?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

My information is outdated probably, but Ebola has proven to be self-limiting because it kills its prey so effectively.  From my perspective, people who actually get this disease have come in close physical contact with the infected.  Washing linens, etc. (exchange of bodily fluids, of course).  I think the final decision must be that even by breathing in droplets, you can't get it unless the individual is in the dire phases of the disease process.

Don't know if more of the antibody has been manufactured, just in case, but I'd imagine so.

lovestoteach,

Was just thinking today that I had not seen you post in the new forums.  Glad to see you, enjoy your comments.

Hope you see this as I fear this topic is not long for this world.  : O (

Hi, Drythe and thank you.  Everyone, please pardon my excessive use of quoting, but I wasn't sure I could find this again to respond!  Embarassingly enough, it took me two weeks to figure out how to get back here!

I love a good medical mystery and I would put myself on a committee for researching Ebola... really.  To me it is like cancer, there is a cure, it is out there, we just don't really understand it well enough to intervene yet.  My thoughts only.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Ebola spikes and then dies down, it is a cycle that has played out for the last 40 odd years it has been tracked. crowded conditions,  poor sanitation, cultural burial practices and contaminated food sources are to blame for outbreaks.

protein sources in West Africa are scarce. the last epidemic was likely triggered by consuming Ebola infected bush meat . fruit bats are one of the vectors, monkeys are another - and they and other animals are prepared and cooked; some are sold on roadside stands.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Funny you should say this because, there was an article in todays newspaper that a new case has been found in (I forget where it started) Liberia?

A young boy has died of it and was buried by his family. So sad for his family.

Yes it is sad for his family because now they have to be on the alert for themselves catching this disease. Washing the body prior burial (a common practice as well as hugging and kissing goodbye their loved one in certain African nations/cultures) can give ebola to the members who came in contact with the boy prior burial.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I remember some people saying millions and millions in America would die of Ebola.  They were sure of it.

We had two deaths here from Ebola, and as far as I remember, no one who caught it here died, they caught it elsewhere.

Now we've had one recent death from measles, and some people don't want proper precautions taken with that at all.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor
More than 1 poster has commented about not hearing about home foreclosures anymore either. I think they will foreclose on a home sooner if they think they can sell for a good price. ( can't quote right now).
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven my thought is that the reason millions didn't die here is that our country took quick precautions... still, maybe not quick enough, but enough so that Ebola was contained and allowed to die out without killing many.  The elimination process of contaminated materials was costly... and overwhelmingly extensive, they found out.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever happened...

[ Edited ]

Ebola becomes more contagious to others through direct contact with bodily fluids as it affects its host. As the host gets more and more ill, the person becomes more and more contagious. Fortunately it is not an airborne virus like measles which is even more dangerous to non vaccinated or immuno suppressed people.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Whichever radio station it was that had the guest who made that off-the-wall statement about ebola spreading throughout the US - - - just makes you wonder.  Sounds terribly sensationalist to me.

I worked with Infectious Disease docs during some very trying times and believe me, they NEVER EVER jump to conclusions like that.  Every step is measured, thoughtful and intelligent, sans the adrenalin that radio guest probably used to hype his message.

It all amounts to: if it's too good to be true, then it prrobably isn't; and, if it sounds bad, it might not be all that bad.  Patience is the watch word.